Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Instant stop/stay

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Jan 25, 2012.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Everyone has something their dog is good at, you'd probably think Maya's would be being lazy but actually her best thing is she stops right away when I tell her. No one in our class can stop their dog as quick as I can with Maya, even when I had Barney I had to repeat stay a few times :lol:

I had to video it not only to show everyone but to show myself later :w00t:
    [youtube_browser]97IIxjTRC_Q[/youtube_browser]
    Now we have never used the mats before, we'd not done it with another dog (was to my left) and nor had we done it landscape so in fact I was quite proud of Maya, despite she messed around the first time she still stopped dead when asked and then the second time she done it correctly (I didn't have any treats-I rarely use them).

We're going to be doing the Gold soon so we are already practicing and I have no doubts Maya will pass :w00t:

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

God luck with the gold

3. SpringerHusky

4. catseyes

catseyes PetForums VIP

Bless her heart thats very impressive, when you first called maya come i was expecting a charging maya she kinda trotted instead so cute, grizz does the trott too.
    Good luck with the gold x

5. SpringerHusky

Thanks and nope she never charges :lol: usually strolls it and woo's me on the way :lol: nd thanks :D

6. SpringerHusky

Rigth all you viewers of 105 and likers, some more comments would be nice :p

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

That's a really good start, she wasn't keen on that carpet type bit was she, bless!

These are pics I'm afraid, not a vid, and quite short for a typical gundog training session, but hopefully you get the idea.

Sit stay waiting for the next command, which will be a recall whistle
    [​IMG]

Stopped about half way
    [​IMG]

One thing always worth bearing in mind with directional training, there are at least four, away or back, left, right, and recall! Loads of folk forget that recall bit ;)

8. SpringerHusky

She's used to the mat but only for a send away so it must have been confusing to her and the safer option was to go around :lol:

That brilliant, yes I used to do something similar with Barney.

I have to say I do love training, it's just so much fun when you and the dogs can enjoy it while following a series of commands. :w00t: :001_tt1:

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

The thing with the stop is to keep them guessing, otherwise they tend to creep, expecting you to stop them. Where as, if you combine the stop with other exciting training exercises, such as finding somehing to retrive, off to one side a little way, or make it into a game if you can build up distance so recall, stop, recall, stop, etc, etc, that gets them really focussed, and the carpet wouldn't matter one bit. It's also good to keep practising the stop close at hand on lead, to reinforce that stop whistle/verbal command, again, make it into a game as if you're trying to catch her out, but give her the opportunity to get it right :)

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Such a good girl is Maya and so laid back she's almost horizontal, lol!

Well done Maya for showing that Mals don't always have to have food in order to do things, just usually! You could find she would move faster with a treat to look forward to, mine practically run! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice