Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Inoculation question?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by coco-flo, Jun 9, 2010.

1. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

My 2 indoor cats are due there boosters soon and i am wondering if they should have them as they are indoor cats.anyway was wondering how many pet indoor cats have had there boosters? I actually do my dogs homeapathically but as these are our first cats ever, wasnt to sure how they would react to tablets being pushed down there throats when they have never been used to it. You also hear about cats getting ill after there injections, i decided to homeapathicallydo my dogs after my dog died after she had a booster injection .was wondering what your thoughts on this is? Thanks.

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

this may cause a storm lol...

personally I have all 3 of my indoor only cats jabbed and boostered... Indy needs them for showing but even if I didn't I would because

• Many cat diseases are carried on *us*, if you touch a cat carrying disease or touch something a cat carrying disease has touched or even touch someone who has touched a cat carrying disease and not washed their hands.. (please note this is *carrying* disease... doesn't even have to *be* diseased) so I am constantly bringing low levels of pathogens into my house.
    • Also... I walk my cats so they can come into contact with these things for themselves
    • Although my cats are indoor only... what if for some reason they got out? they wouldn't be covered
    • What if I had an emergency and my cats had to go into a cattery??? (worst case scenario as normally family would look after them) most catteries will only take vaccinated cats and even if they take unvacc'd they are still then exposed to carriers.

I am a big believer in playing it safe. However there *are* tests you can have done to see if your cat is still covered by a previous jab, it counts the antibodies. So if your cats *are* still protected then sure... why pay for more jabs?

If you have concerns talk them over with your vet, after losing your dog they should understand your worries and talk to you about what options are available

3. slavetorobbie

slavetorobbie PetForums Member

My kitten had just had his initial vaccinations and is likely to stay a housecat for quit a while, until we move at least. I was questioning whether indoor cats ought to have them but the conclusion I reached was that it's hardly expensive considering it's only a yearly treatment (unless you have a dozen cats of course), and as some illnesses are airborne, I think it's better to be safe than sorry. If your cat wasn't vaccinated and became ill, you'd end up spending fortunes on medicines etc, which wouldn't be covered by insurance without up to date innoculations and of course, your cat would be suffering and at risk of death. Obviously, people have different opinions but these were my reasons for deciding to have Robbie vaccinated annually.

4. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

To be honest, I don't know whether indoor cats do need to have boosters as my cats are outdoor ones.

Having said that, you have to bear in mind if ever they had to be left at the vets for observation they might be at a low and more prone to picking up things. Also, if you intend to leave them at a cattery. My parents left ours, their jabs were overdue and one caught cat flu. Unfortunately, they all caught it off eachother and we only saved one.

5. KatieW92

KatieW92 PetForums Junior

I would. Better safe than sorry!

6. Wendy1969

Wendy1969 PetForums Member

My three 'indoor' cats are all jabbed. Mainly because they need them for stays at the cattery and I show Alfie and you cant vet in without your card. I would prefer to be safe rather than sorry :)

7. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

Thankyou for your replies, i would of not hesitated to have them done if my poor dog had not died and because i now homeapathically treat my dogs and have been very happy with this choice and i show and breed my dogs. But i do hear what you are saying, about transmitting the disease, so i am going to take them and see if the vet will do a blood test on them first, then if they need it so be it, i love them to much not to have them done!! thankyou for your feed back.

8. gemini

gemini PetForums Member

I have 5 cats, and only one of them is an indoor cat. But I have them all vaccinated just in case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice