Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Injured Magpie found - Advice needed?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Cleo38, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Just found a young, injured magpie whilst out walking Toby. He was shuffling around by the side of the road, I just though he was a young bird so pout him in the bushes & left him. On our return walk I noticed he was out near the road again, this time being stalked by 2 cats so i bought him home with me.
    He was quite wet so thought I'd get him dry then put him back where I found him but have now noticed that his right wing appears to be slightly hanging down causing him difficulty in staying upright.
    Apart from the wing injury he seems fine; is hopping around in the bathroom but I don't want to put him bakc outside if he is injured.
    Am not sure what to do now, does anyone know of any rescue centres in Herts/Beds area? or can advise what would be best for him.

2. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

Poor maggie :(

I would call the RSPCA, they will pick him up or advise you where you could take him.

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Luckily our vets are brilliant & said to bring him in. After examination they found his wing wasn't too badly damaged & it looks like he'll be fine. The receptionist also does a bit of wildlife rescue so will be taking care of him until he is fit to be released.
    We hand reared a baby blue tit last year which was difficult enough (I had to smauggle him in to work in order to feed him throughout the day!) but a magpie would have been a bit more difficult!

4. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

Thats great!! Fingers crossed he'll be better in no time :D

5. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Even though I have one that wakes me up every morning tapping the landing window:mad::lol: I would'nt want to see one hurt. I tried to save a young crow on a busy main road before and I got the traffic to stop but a woman behind could'nt wait and over took the other cars and ran straight over the poor bird!!! If I could I would have:mad: Some people:(

6. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

OMG! What a stupid woman!

7. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

No concience :( Even the people in the cars who had stopped shut their eyes and then started shouting. She put her hands up as if to say what?? What have I done???

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Well done for saving the pie. Though ours are monsters around here and I would struggle to help one, knowing what they do to all the baby birds. But then, that's nature and to stand in it's way or not help it like I would all the other species would be hypocritical.

Talking of magpies though .. Chris came home for lunch today and was making our sandwiches in the kitchen. He totally pooed his pants when he heard the keys jangling in the door, thought someone was trying to break in. But when he looked it was a magpie poking the keys through the lock! It explains a lot, all of the locks on our doors have had to be replaced over the years, as they just seem to stop working/locking for no reason. Now I know why! Buggers!

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

LOL!! I know alot of people don't like them but I find them facinating, I watched a family of magpies last year come to my bird feeders & basically dismantle them before my eyes so they could get the food out quicker! They were there for a few weeks before the parents left the baby (he was quite a big baby by that stage!) & he seemed quite lonely for a while. I used to worry about him if I didn't see him around - my OH thought I was nuts!

10. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Oh, don't get me wrong I actually like Magpie's, just not how they hunt and feed. I think they are beautiful and charming birds. One of ours gave me some good photo ops last year, came right up close for this shot ...

[​IMG]

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Wow, what a brilliant picture. Despite having one sat on my lap earlier I just have a pic of what can only be described as a black & white smudge!! Photography is not a strenght of mine!
    It also makes me laugh seeing my sister saluting them when we're out as it's bad luck not to (she's not usually a nut job - just with magpies!) .... she has to do it every few seconds round here as there's loads of them at the moment!

12. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

:lol: I salute single magpies too! I don't if I see more together though, as that's bad luck too, apparently :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice