Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Injured gerbil

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Rose18, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Rose18

Rose18 PetForums Newbie

I have a pair of gerbils who are brothers around 7 months old and today one of them, Sandy, injured his side on the ramp and I’ve taken him to the vets who has given me some antibiotics and a wash for his injury. She also advised that if his brother starts grooming him and trying to lick the wound clean I will need to separate them for a few weeks to help Sandy heal. They have a good bond and have always been very affectionate towards each other and I’m worried about separating them for such a long time. I’ve got a separate tank for my injured gerbil but I just want to ask if anyone has been in a similar position and if there is any way I could somehow keep them together? I’ve heard of the split cage method for introducing new gerbils but I’m not sure how I can split my gerbilarium due to the levels? I think it would be easier to split the separate smaller tank but I don’t know what I can use to split the tank as they are avid chewers?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. PepaCub

PepaCub PetForums Junior

Hello, and sorry to hear Sandy got hurt.

Splitting them up would be a last option as otherwise - just as you say - they would need to be split tanked back together and although this usually very successful, it does carry a small risk. I suppose you need to weigh it up against Sandy healing if you find there is over-grooming?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice