Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Initial contact with breeders?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nicky10, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'm starting to look seriously at poodle breeders so advice on the initial contact? Should I email or call? If calling when would be the best time? In the evening? What do I include in the initial email if I email? I was thinking why I chose the breed, what I liked about that breeder, that I intended to do sports with it, what the home situation is. Does that sound good? :001_unsure:

I feel like I know the answers to all this by now I just had to be sure :eek:

2. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I'd give them a ring I think. However well worded emails always sound a bit impersonal and they'll no doubt want to have a "proper" conversation rather than one via email anyway.

I'd probably try ringing early evening first.

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Have you contacted the breed club(s)? They are usually the best place to start looking for dogs as members have to adhere to their code of conduct which is often higher than non club members.

The Secretary can then steer you in the right direction.

You did not mention what size poodle you are interested in

http://www.poodlecouncil.com/

Poodle (Miniature) Dog Clubs

Poodle (Toy) Dog Clubs

Poodle (Standard) Dog Clubs

The KC advertise who has available puppies

Find Poodle (Standard) puppies for sale

You may also want to explore what the KC recommend and require regarding health testing

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/med...uirements_and_recommendations_-_july_2014.pdf

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Standard poodle the breed club will be the first place I check to get a list of breeders to have a look at. They require hip scoring and an eye test with a recommendation of testing for SA as well. I have a few breeders in mind already that I'm going to contact and I've already checked out the dogs on the health test finder.

I'm aware health tests aren't everything but they're a start.

#4 Nicky10, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

When we had found the breeders we liked and were making enquiries about our Vizsla (who was sadly never to be) I felt more comfortable emailing first rather than phoning for the initial contact. That's just a personal thing, some may prefer to phone.

I just spent a bit of time writing a draft email explaining where I found their details, why I was emailing and a brief description of our circumstances. At the end of the email, I just put that I would be interested to speak to them further at their convenience and provided my phone number.

I emailed about five, three had no plans to breed, but I got the impression that all were happy with the way I made initial contact. I did eventually speak to three of them on the phone, and visited and went on the waiting list with one (who's bitch sadly had a miscarriage). I'm still in contact with the breeder actually.

#5 bearcub, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice