Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Inie or Outie

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Aug 7, 2009.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

no we're not talking belly buttons here ;)

Is your cat an outdoor or indoor cat or a bit of both? if so why?

Spike's is an inie and an outie although currently he's spending most of his time indoors asleep on the banisters upstairs :rolleyes:. We was going to keep spike as an indoor cat because of his breed, even if he was mixed I was worried someone would pinch him. Sadly this did not work as we had two moggys who were outdoor cats and spike kept finding his way out despite our best efforts, we gave in eventually and soon found that he just turned into a cat that looks like a moggy, so despite being handosme to us he's not attractive to thieves.

2. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

Sheldon is both. more inie than outie simply coz i wudnt like to lose touch with him if he only came in to eat and sleep.

i like him bein an inie for the cuddles and an outie to let off steam. it seems natural for him to be out in the garden, he loves it so much :)

3. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Ratty and Googoo can both go out. There's a small-ish garden, and a cat door. Googoo goes wandering and is away for hours sometimes, but is mainly in the garden, or the roof of next doors garage (ideal for sun and birdwatching). Ratty rarely heads out even when the patio door is temptingly wide open.

They're both from the RSPCA and were locked inside, in a bathroom, for most if not all their lives til they were rescued. They're still pretty suspicious of the outdoors and even googoo isn't gone for long. Ratty has a lot of Bombay charactersitics and is almost exclusively indoorsy, unless someone is outside, then she'll follow and stay - but only for a while

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Outie at the moment, and doing good.

I grew up with Outie cats but when I left home and had cats of my own, the place I was living dictated they were Innies. I then went on to own a show neuter and a girl I bred from occasionally, so my interest in that side of cats meant they had to be In, most firmly. And that's the way it was for about 20 years.

I moved here about 6 years ago and my current home is half a house - a large ground floor flat, but a bit dim and dark and I knew with all my conscience that an Indoor cat wouldn't enjoy it at all. But the neighbourhood here, catwise, is far better than it was back in London. I even asked the advice of local vets about the incidence of FIV, FeLV and road accidents in the area before making a decision.

As much as I loved my purebreeds, I knew this place suited an outdoor cat best - or no cat at all. So I lived with no-cat-at-all which wasn't ideal but was bearable, as the chap in the top maisonette had two beautiful moggs and I got my cat-fix that way as they often wandered in for a neighbourly visit. Then he moved out and I got withdrawal symptoms big-time, plus the area then had a mouse plague - the buggers even nested in my hoover and made it catch fire!!!!

So I have a lovely little mog now, who suits me & my circumstances down to the ground, keeps the mice at bay, (earning herself the honorary title of champion Hoover Protector! lol) has her freedom, is streetwise, & likes to paint herself with engine oil now & again by sitting under cars. It is actually very refreshing to own her after so long of Innies, it's like I am seeing a side of cats I'd long forgotten existed.

So it's really got to be a totally honest, open, and wide-ranging decision... always thinking, What's best for my cat? and not What's best for me. :)

5. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Nala and Mia are both indoor only.

Firstly because Birman's are in general very trusting cats and will let anyone pick them up and as they are a thief target that's not a good combination.

Secondly because they do not have a great deal of road sense and I would be scared half to death about all the accidents they could get themselves in.

I do however have a moggie who comes in and out.
    Originally I wanted him as an inddor cat also but he was from a farm and born outside so it proved VERY difficult keeping him happy indoors and in the end I relented.

I fitted a cat flap to the front door that is operated by the magnetic collar he wears.

Whilst Mia and Nala are not wearing collars there is no way they can get out.

I think it works well all round.

6. macro01

macro01 PetForums Newbie

my cats are indoor cats most of the time..aside for one who is always out and only goes home to eat, lol. :D

7. Faerie Queene

Faerie Queene PetForums Member

My old girl is an outdoor cat, but this last year has chosen to spend more time indoors.
    My 2 youngsters don't go out.

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Cotton is going to be an innie.

Where I live there are a lot of busy roads and because I live by the beach we have a lot of foxes (they live in the tumps). One of my cats was killed by foxes a few years ago. They ripped his head off and carried it away. We only found his body but we can assume they were going to come back for it :(

My next door neighbour has 2 siamese cats. They are outdoor cats in the sense that they can go out the back. She has green wire mesh on top of her wall which extends to about 8/9 foot and the mesh bends over at the top so the cats can't climb over.

I'd like to do this for Cotton and I also have a small extension which I'm going to turn into a playroom :)

This is my small extension (I have 2 extensions the other is on the side of the house);

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice