Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ingredients of Dentastix - Don't Feed!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Staffybull, Jun 10, 2011.

1. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Whimzee - Stix Dog Chew -
    Potato starch, glycerin, powdered cellulose, lecithin, yeast, color added (malt extract, annatto extract, alfalfa extract).

How is that a "natural" treat?

2. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Cooked bones? Noooo!!!!!! :(

MiffyMoo and cbcdesign like this.
  3. danielled

danielled Guest

Cooked bones are dangerous. Cooked bone NO raw bones yes.

4. den9112

den9112 PetForums Junior

Just read this post ,and i like many others believed Dentastix were actualy good for the Dog,my Milo as just had his last one wont be getting any more .
    Going to try Carrot ,and as for other treats i buy offal that i can grill ,liver and kidney mash up good so i can get them in to a kong ,always a good supply at the whoopsie department in the local supermarket .

5. CollieSlave

CollieSlave PetForums Junior

Does anyone have the slightest evidence from giving these things to their dog, that they do anything beneficial to their teeth? Any Dentastix fans out there???

6. reliable65

reliable65 PetForums Junior

Can anyone one tell me if these are healthy treats, my westie has yeast problems and im trying to cut out sugar

Hunters Calcium Bones

Ingredients
    Milk powder (45.5%), gelatin (30%), calcium carbonate (7%), sodium caseinate (5%), grain cellulose (5%), Ismalto-Oligosaccharide (3%).

Additives:
    Aromas: Yucca Mohavensis (30 g/kg), rosemary extract (10 g/kg).
    Colourants: E 171 (5 g/kg).

7. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Lactose is a sugar (ie milk).
    I feed these to my gang occasionally and they like them. Probably not the healthiest but at least its not generic ingredients and they don't have them every day.
    If you are wanting something more natural, I'd probably sway more towards dried animal bits; ears, scalp, tendons, pizzles, trachea etc

8. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I used to give Kerry my old GSD Dentagen chews instead. She had compromised Kidneys so had to be careful what she ate. They never did her any harm and were given every two days.
    Duch had Dentastix at one time but now has dried 100% chicken Jerky instead. Its just as good for her teeth but low fat low fibre and much healthier for her with her pancreas issue but cheap they are not at £7.00 per bag.

9. Bobbyset1

Bobbyset1 PetForums Newbie

I have been giving them to m dogs daily for years WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS! They love them to the point they head for the kitchen at the word "tooth brush"! And, YES, their teeth ARE cleaner then they were before and their breath is better! I, personally, think some of the people that write these things are full of crap!
    Are YOU a FULLY QUALIFIED vet?

10. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Actually, one of the above is a fully qualified vet :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice