UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you do give these to your dog,i have found the ingredients list for these "so called teeth cleaners"!
If i were you,i would stop giving them!

Rice flour (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler, causes bowel distress and can lead to diabetes in dogs.

Wheat starch (Minus 1 point): Poor carbohydrate source causes allergies.

Glycerin (Minus 1 point): Sweetens food, used as humectant (keeps food moist), interferes with nutrient assimilation.

Calcium carbonate (Plus 1 point): Standard source of calcium, promotes strong bones, teeth, cardiovascular health and skeletal strength, used as a buffer to acidic foods.

Gelatin (Minus 1 point): Filler / binder in can food.

Gum arabic (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler/binder used in can foods.

Cellulose Powder (Minus 1 point): Suspected to include recycled cardboard.

Natural poultry flavor (Minus 1 point): Poor quality of flavor additive.

Sodium tripolyphosphate (Minus 1 point): Used as rancid meat preservative.

Salt (Minus 1 point): Used to cover up rancid meat and fat, can cause kidney and heart disease, hypertension -- used to encourage cats to drink, source of sodium chloride.

Not so nice are they?
You could maybe try one of these
Kong Medium Dog Dental Stick Clean Teeth ToothBrush Toy | eBay UK
Far better than Dentastix,and more fun for the dog!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Thank you, that has just confirmed my fears and other peoples comments on my previous thread! Not one more dentastix will pass the lips of Branston and Lily. It's worrying that these things are allowed to be sold... even worse than that, they actually give them out as treats at our VETS!!!

91 Posts
I stay away from storebought treats that are supposed to be good for dogs! No way, they just want to make some money. I have been brushing my dog's teeth since he was a puppy and only give him food that has natural ingredients. Some of the stuff written on the labels I can't even pronounce or understand! :confused:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Because of what I'd heard elsewhere I stopped giving them to mine a while ago, but because I can't bear to see waste I have a near full box of 48 loitering in the pantry - what to do with them? Would the local foxes like them I wonder?

Thanks for the ingredient list breakdown though.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
If you do give these to your dog,i have found the ingredients list for these "so called teeth cleaners"!
If i were you,i would stop giving them!

Rice flour (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler, causes bowel distress and can lead to diabetes in dogs.

Wheat starch (Minus 1 point): Poor carbohydrate source causes allergies.

Glycerin (Minus 1 point): Sweetens food, used as humectant (keeps food moist), interferes with nutrient assimilation.

Calcium carbonate (Plus 1 point): Standard source of calcium, promotes strong bones, teeth, cardiovascular health and skeletal strength, used as a buffer to acidic foods.

Gelatin (Minus 1 point): Filler / binder in can food.

Gum arabic (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler/binder used in can foods.

Cellulose Powder (Minus 1 point): Suspected to include recycled cardboard.

Natural poultry flavor (Minus 1 point): Poor quality of flavor additive.

Sodium tripolyphosphate (Minus 1 point): Used as rancid meat preservative.

Salt (Minus 1 point): Used to cover up rancid meat and fat, can cause kidney and heart disease, hypertension -- used to encourage cats to drink, source of sodium chloride.

Not so nice are they?
You could maybe try one of these
Kong Medium Dog Dental Stick Clean Teeth ToothBrush Toy | eBay UK
Far better than Dentastix,and more fun for the dog!
Must admit I did try them the once, and it was only once ages ago when they first came out, and the dogs I had at the time all had the squits after just one. So threw the rest away. Not surprising really seeing all this.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Yes they're crap but then so are my ''treats'' (crisps and chocolate). My dogs are raw fed, they get plenty of bones for their teeth - but they do get the occasional dentastix too, why? Because they bloomin' LOVE them! I dont expect them to do anything for their teeth, I know they're mainly sugar, but a little bit of junk once in a while does everybody good :) Aslong as they go daft for a dentastix, then I will continue buying them for an occasional special treat.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
oh dear i just bought a large box of them.......... great
You may be intersted to read these posts, where I had problems with re-homing my dogs litter mate and after found my dog, seemed to get hyper with regular Dentastix, and better without, then again with, as a test.

I've posted a few times in DT&B without anyone else confirming or commenting, so just regard as anecdote, I suspect I saw this in 2 closely related dogs.

I've been considering starting a Thread to see if anyone else has noticed hyperactivity with Denta Sticks (Pedigree Chum) as my puppy seems to get hyper if he's given them (1 per day) and become untrainable due to excess exciteability and total desire to play. I'm actually suspicious that they caused my Foster pup to be hyper on day she was meeting the re-homer now.

They aren't the preferred chew/dental hygeine in my view as the ingredients list preservatives and also some form of unamed meat source, which might be too much on a 30% protein diet.

No problems giving tripe (60% protein) sticks and raw hide (probably very high in keratin protein) dired without preservatives.
One problem I seemed to see, was with those Dentastix you see advertised on the TV, which had many persative additives, they seemed to make for hyper-activity
Previously at around 6 months, there'd been some hyper tendencies, human food consumption was denied and stopping Dentastix with high protein & preservatives, as well as changing JWB Puppy 50% / Collards 50%, to JWB Junior / Collards puppy mix, seemed to solve the issue
Never saw anyone else post of negative experience with them, and occasional one doesn't seem to be an issue. LIke ISG a large box was bought by well meaning person who hadn't checked ingredients. We much prefer alternatives for dental care chew without additives and complicated recipe.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I think the problem with Dentastix is that they are advertised as healthy and good for your dog, when they aren't. I give my dogs treats, and yes they aren't great for them, but neither are the treats I give myself! Treats are given sparingly and for training I try and use something like fish4dogs. But people will be giving dentastix thinking they are good for the dog and may not give as sparingly as they should be.
xox

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
i do only give them very occasionally tbo and with 6 dogs the box won't last long. but i definately won't be buying them again i too will look at fish4dogs as a treat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
While in Ireland recently my mother in law gave one to Ted, he loved munching away on it. He was very small then and only got half way through it so we kept the rest for later. Although he enjoyed it, he had really bad gas in the car and he got serious dose of the trots that night. Not very nice cleaning up at 5.30am.

The remainder went straight in the bin the next day.

BTW mother in law said they were really good for dog's teeth, "that's what it said in the advert on the TV". The power of advertising, eh!

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Can't think of any of that stuff that isn't crap personally. I use raw meaty bones and my dogs have lovely white teeth at seven years old and fresh breath. Can't beat the natural way of cleaning a dogs teeth imo. :)

G

·
See this is where having super fussy dog is a plus - I bought him some once and he just turned his nose up so we've been saved :lol:

xxxx

·
Registered
23,237 Posts
I fond them way too fattening for little dogs anyways. (and I only gave them a third of a small one each!!)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh dear i just bought a large box of them.......... great
I hope you do throw them away,preferably in the nearest bin!
Soz for you and others for thinking these were good,but the "power of advertising strikes again"!

I am glad that you and others can finally see the "crappy ingredients"!

I hope that you,and all the people who have read this,will pass this information on to all their friends etc!

·
Banned
23,698 Posts
One of the few treats along with some Bakers treats that Buster has point blank refused to eat. I wouldn't give him anything from Pedigree ever again anyway

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes they're crap but then so are my ''treats'' (crisps and chocolate). My dogs are raw fed, they get plenty of bones for their teeth - but they do get the occasional dentastix too, why? Because they bloomin' LOVE them! I dont expect them to do anything for their teeth, I know they're mainly sugar, but a little bit of junk once in a while does everybody good :) Aslong as they go daft for a dentastix, then I will continue buying them for an occasional special treat.
Sorry i dont agree with your statement!
You did read the ingredients list and still you want to give this crap to your dog!
Sugar based and full of ....and IMO its NOT a good special treat,so all i can ask is why you want to feed this?
Most dogs will go for a sweet treat,you could swap dentastix for a raw carrot,SO much better than them!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.