Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ingredients in cat food & cystitis

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tobacat, May 26, 2010.

1. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

As some of you know, I'm trying to get to grips with my cat's cystitis bit by bit. I'm about to try her on a higher quality diet (ie more meat) and have been looking closely at all the ingredients in Bozita, Purely (Pets @ Home), Natures menu, Feline Fayre, HiLife, Applaws and Almo. Some of them state they contain tapioca starch, eggs, sunflower or soy bean oil, sugars or vegetable extract. Bearing in mind I'm trying to avoid anything that might irritate her bladder, does anyone have any views on these ingredients? My first choice at the moment is Pets at Home Purely, but that contains tapioca starch.

Has anyone tried any of these and did their cat like it?

#1 Tobacat, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hi! I personally doubt that any of these ingredients trigger cystitis. Sugar is frequently linked to bacterial cystitis in humans, as it depresses the immune system, but the impact of sugar on cats is controversial. Sugar is used in the pet food industry to add to the consistency/sheen of wet food but there is little evidence that is has an effect on dental health, for example. However, personally I don't see why there needs to be sugar in pet food and I would choose the foods that don't contain it (unless it is D-Mannose, of course :D).

The other ones are more likely to trigger an allergic reaction than to trigger cystitis. Egg is frequently added to cat food to bump up Vitamin A as well as for bulk. Soya is controversial in cat food use as it has been linked to hyperthyroidism (in humans too, incidentally). But we are talking such low quantities in soya bean oil, that i doubt that will have much of an impact either.

Topioca starch is used as an innocuous thickener in pet food as well as human food.

I have in the past fed Bozita, Nature's Menu (made my cat's poop extraordinarily smelly), HiLife (mine didn't touch it) and Purely. Unless it has changed, natures menu and purely are pates. If your cat likes to eat pates then I would suggest you look into a German cat food called Petnatur. A complete food that contains only organic meat, with all types of meat being properly declared. Doesn't break the bank either.

Applaws and Almo are only treat foods and should not be fed more often than once a week imo (unless you also feed dry, which you don't).

Hope that helps!

#2 hobbs2004, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    Dally Banjo likes this.
  3. carolmanycats

carolmanycats PetForums VIP

Any idea who sells Petnatur in this country?

4. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Im interested in knowing why you say applaws and almo are only treat foods? :confused: I feed about 50:50 wet:dry, I use james wellbeloved dry and applaws wet food, I always vary the flavours of the wet food so she doesn't get bored. Is there something wrong with doing this?
    Iv actually been thinking of changing brands of wet food as applaws is a bit expensive but don't want to change to something of lower quality. I was looking into bozita and some other brands but since she doesn't eat much the big can would go to waste as it would go off by the time she gets to the end of it, it already takes her 2 days to finish a small applaws can! :rolleyes:
    Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread OP.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Unfortunately no one does; it is a real shame. For example, the lamb contains organic muscle meat, heart, stomach, lungs and liver as well as 0.1% taurine. Because it is so high grade, you only need to feed about 160-240 g a day.

I get it from this shop: Tatzenladen - Gutes für Samtpfoten but only the shopping basket is also in English. Their shipping costs are very reasonable though. The lady who runs it is called Nicole, and is most helpful.

I know that they are working on changing things to make it more accessible to the English-speaking market but it will take a while.

Otherwise, you can also get it from this shop, which posts to the UK: Katzenfutter Nassfutter Petnatur. Postage slightly more expensive than the other shop.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Applaws and almo nature are treat foods because they are not complete foods. They only contain muscle meat (fillets) and broth (some also contain rice) but no vitamins and minerals.

For that reason they should only be fed occasionally IF you are not also feeding dry. If you feed dry then one assumes that the cats will get the necessary minerals and vitamins from their dry food; so whether the wet is complete or not is less of an issue.

In fact, applaws and almo are saying that you should feed their wet with their dry and that you should vary the types of meat you feed your cat - so all the things you are doing. :)

7. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Thanks, I didn't realise that they're not complete foods. It's a shame they don't say that on the can as I was thinking of cutting out the dry food altogether a while back, glad I didn't now.

8. carolmanycats

carolmanycats PetForums VIP

Thanks, will have a look. I have Google toolbar which has a translation option - not always the best English LOL but it certainly works well enough to understand a lot more than you would without it.

9. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Thanks for your replies, especially Hobbs2004 and for sharing your knowledge with me. By the way, I was looking at Purely earlier and it comes in jelly. Great for Lottie, as she's a jelly girl!!

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh, that's good :thumbup:

Anything I can help with, just holller!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice