Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Information on Kennel Cough please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by keeleyjane19, May 18, 2010.

1. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hey.

I have had my dogs vaccinated against kennel cough although I have never heard of any cases?

I know its like flu in humans and can be fatal to dogs?

But how common is it?

Is it worth vaccinating?

Do you vaccinate against it?

Sorry for questions, just wondering!

2. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

Kennel cough is a highly contagious dog illness, Symptoms begin usually 3 to 5 days after exposure.. some dogs can be carrier and are not effect and some can be badly effected by it. The disease can last initially from 10-20 days.

the vax only protects against well known kennel coughs all though there are thousands of different strains.
    Antibiotics are given to treat any bacterial infection present, which will help clear it quite quickly. you should if your dog is infected refrain from letting it go near other dogs. The disease can progress to pneumonia.

my dogs are vax'd against it, just personal choice incase my dogs were ever to be put into kennels.
    it is required.

#2 Sarahnorris, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  3. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

The vaccination only covers certains strains, and there are loads. My dogs caught KC in the autumn, the first time I have ever seen a case. Unfortunately my eldest wolfhound developed pneumonia and died.

Since then I have heard of so many cases. I don't know whether this year has been worse than previous ones.

Usually it is easily treatable and only old, infirm or young puppies are at risk of it being fatal.

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Ollie's had kennel cough in the past. It can be fatal to young pups and older dogs. But most healthy adult dogs come through it fine. A course of antibiotics usually is all that is needed. Ollie had a mild case and was fine after some antibiotics. They can't go outside though until they stop coughing to prevent it spreading to other dogs. I don't vaccinate against it, but possibly would if I was putting Ollie in kennels.

5. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

kennel cough is the doggy equivalent to a common cold in humans basically, and every time your dog gets it, they build up a natural immunity too it so next time its never as bad.
    The kennel cough vaccination vaccinates against 1 strain of kennel cough, its like vaccinating against one strain of cold.

I personally think it's pointless to vaccinate against it, and we pump our dogs far too full of drugs anyway every year. saying that, my dog is currently vaccinated although i wont be renewing it next lot of jabs.

Its very common really, my dogs had it quite a few times (despit him being vaccs, hence another reason why im not getting himm done again), not surprising really considering my job, it survives on clothes for half an hour.

If your dog gets kennel cough, it isnt neccessary to run to the vets for antibiotics, like us dogs build up an immunity and it may stop them working when their really needed.

Keep an eye on your dog, like us keep them warm and dry. Keep an eye on the cough (it should sound like a hacking cough almost like their gonna hurl) if it gets worse instead of better then take them to the vet. It should last about 10 days. Be aware they are more vunerable to other infections during that time. keep them away from other dogs for 7 days after all symptoms have gone, and do not walk your dog during that time if you have a garden.

also if you get some kiddi benalin cold and flu mixture from the vets, you can give them that, take their weight into account, mine has 1 capful at morning and 1 at night when he has kennel cough.

hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  6. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Can i just ask,as i know nothing about KCough,Once they have had it,are they carriers for life? or is it just a one off thing at the time?(like us with colds)
    I ask because i remember i had a cat with cat flu as a tiny kitten,had antibiotics etc,got better but the vet said she'd be a carrier for life now.I didnt know this until then,

7. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

im pretty sure it just goes, like colds, except for the week after all symptoms have gone, they do carry it for that week.

8. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Thank you all for all your help!!! xxx

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Was given a leaflet at my vets,and thought i should probably just add a couple of bits onto this thread incase anyone needs any info in the future.

'Once exposed to infection,it takes 3-10 days before the disease is seen-usually a persistant honking cough and fever.More rarely,serious cases can result in pneumonia and even death,particularly in puppies or those with a weaker constittion.
    Depending on the severity of the disease,it can last from a few days to several weeks.But even after the coughing has stopped,your dog can remain infectious for three months or more'

10. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

Glen has had it twice and not had him vaccinated. Last time i was in the vet i took a leaflet. I think its diffiucult to prevent as i have no idea how he picked it up. He was pretty poorly for a few days but nothing serious. He's not had it since the beginning of the year, think its more of a winter thing but not sure.

11. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I was quite surprised at how long they can remain infectious afterwards! important that more are aware i think.
    Im glad your dog is now ok :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice