Info on stud dog owner

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Macey58, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Macey58

Macey58 PetForums Newbie

Mar 13, 2018
    hi, I have just joined the group so hello to everyone.
    I need help regarding stud owners rights.
    I bred my Yorkie girl with my daughters friends Yorkie, this is the first time she has been bred and she only had the one puppy a little girl.
    On informing the stud owner about this she said I could keep the puppy and give her £250 or I give her the puppy and she would give me £250, I want to keep the puppy as its my girls first puppy and I know I will get attached to her.
    My daughter and her friend have been looking up prices for a Yorkie pup and seeing they go for £500 this is what they are going by excluding the things puppy needs like first jags,microchipped and health check.
    Can anyone advise me how this works, it's the first time I have bred any of my dogs and the last.
    Thank you in advance.
  2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Dec 10, 2012
    I am confused about who owner of the male Yorkie is - is the stud dog owner your daughters friend? was the price of the stud fee not discussed prior to the breeding? if you want to keep the puppy, then keep the puppy, but you need to pay the stud dog owner the fee you presumably discussed you would when you bred them.
  3. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Dec 8, 2013
    If you agreed to pay £250 instead of a puppy than that is what you owe the stud dog owner.
  4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Jun 18, 2012
    I assume you didn't pay a stud fee at the time of mating, but agreed the Stud Dog Owner would have a pup from the litter?

If this is the case, then you do owe her some money or a pup and at least she is giving you the option.

Given that a stud fee is normally around the value of one pup, if you pay her £250, I don't believe that's too bad. It's unfortunate you only got one pup, but that isn't her fault.