Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Info on rescue dog..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RachyBobs, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Okay so the story goes that someone I know was with a friend of hers looking for a rescue dog, anyway they had been to several rescues most of which would not home a dog to her as she has a 1 year old. She was then given the address of a pound of some description on the out skirts of Middlesbrough and they went there to find 7 staffies in a cage together and what looks like a GSD, Lab x collie bit of each! She was cowering in the corner and whimpering, they didnt even know what sex she was. My friend jumped at the chance and took her home that day, they told her she had 2 days left in the pound and then she was to be enuathinsed to make space :( Only issue is my friend rents a house that doesnt allow pets, so shes hiding her :( Also she took her for a walk with a friends dog and her friends dog has developed kennel cough and had to be treated at the vets. My question is if I take this girly on how do I determin she hasnt got Kennel Cough? Will the vets be able to tell if she has it or not just I do not want to put my dogs at risk, mainly Snowy with his bad chest..

Any info would be fab :thumbup:

2. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

I would think a visit to the vet regardless would be in order after reading the close conditions she was kept and that the 'rescue' was quite happy to give the dog to her so easily. had it been health checked, defleaed wormed etc ? Could be carrying a whole lot more !

3. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

No it hadnt been checked for anything I dont think - she was found wandering the streets shes only 6 months old but then again a vet would need to confirm age?

4. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

I took 2 from that pound as they put them down after 7 days. They both had kennel cough. They probably think what is the point of trying to keep them healthy when they are going to die anyway :mad:

It was treated and they were fine, but I wouldn't risk it - get it checked. Good on your friend for taking the poor thing. I wanted to take them all but obviously couldn't.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

The vet will be able to tell you, and could you not wait for treatment to fisnish if you did bring the dog home?
    Either that you could get your lot vaccinated against kennel cough before you brought the other dog home.

6. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

It was a pound rather than a rescue - many rescues would have checked out rehoming to someone with a young child and whose landlord doesn't allow pets (or sorry was it your friend that took her rather than the friend of frend got a bit confused!).

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I'm not sure that another dog is a good idea at the moment, especially one that will be due to to come in to season within the next couple of months. I think it would drive Snowy mad.

8. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

She will be spayed before she comes for her own sake never mind his :rolleyes: i feel i have no choice, this lil girly has nowere to go. :frown:

9. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I thought you were absolutely full to the brim? :confused: At least you said you were when that staffy pup was about to be pts........:confused1:

10. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

Yes your correct I did say I was full to the brim.. i couldnt take a 9 week old puppy here at that time but i was willing to take it if nobody else could, the baby has now been homed to the dogs trust and is up for rehoming so I am told. Also my mam doesnt like staffys and it always helps if you like the breed! Its my mothers decision to take on this girly and im happy back it up :thumbup:

11. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

NO YOU WEREN'T!!!!! You were willing to let it get pts!!!! You posted about it, got us all worried, then 'forgot' to update us! :mad:

deb53 likes this.
  12. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

This is your quote from that thread: "as far as i am aware the pup was pts i feel so so bad for not just giving them £100 for the poor mite. right now im full to the brim with cats and dogs in the house i couldnt cope with another, a puppy at that. i will email the person who orginally asked me and find out if anyone wants to be on stand by for him? hope hes still ok.."so how come you've got room now? If your full to the brim with cats and dogs? Sorry but this makes me mad, I was so concerned for that little staffy. :frown:

13. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i can understand your anger but its upto rachy what she does, and what pup she decides to rescue.

14. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Yes but why say she's full to the brim? That was obviously not true. If she had said she wasn't allowed a staffy or whatever, fine. But to make out she's absolutely full then suddenly take on another dog just seems untruthful - and I don't like that. There are enough people telling lies on this forum...... :rolleyes:

15. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I can understand you, but maybe they didn't want to say they wont take it in case people felt they where nasty. Taking any dog on is a huge responsibility.

16. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Most people would understand. Better than telling lies.....

17. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

well on the good side another dog maybe given a second chance.

18. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Bit harsh. It's down to the individual whom they choose to rescue, or not at all.

DKDREAM likes this.
  19. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:lol: And this is exactly the reason why rescues have all those stupid rules everyone complains about!! :rolleyes:

20. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I dont understand what you mean.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice