Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Inflammatory bowel disease

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Elizabeth Freeman, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Elizabeth Freeman

Elizabeth Freeman PetForums Newbie

So my dog has IBD and through this has since been diagnosed with anemia. He passes quite a bit of blood in his poos (sorry for TMI). His iron levels are very low at the minute. He's on iron tablets to give him a boost and has some various tablets for his tummy issues. Anyone else experienced a dog with this issue?! Feeling very alone with this.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I don't have personal experience though have met a dog with IBD a few times.
    But there was an interesting series on gut bacteria a few months ago on radio 4, you might be able to find it on catchup. Some people with IBD were reported to have been cured with by a transplant of lower gut bacteria from a healthy donor. Think an enema in reverse (if you can bear to).

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

If you put IBD in search, you should have loads of threads come up. We have recently lost our dog that had IBD, it nearly cost him his life at 2 years old, but he lived until nearly his 13th birthday.

The key to this is finding the right food, don't give treats or keep trying new foods or allow scavenging when out, if you find that perfect food, stick with it. The key food is different for each dog, so no one can tell you which will suit yours. For ours it was Chappie original tinned, he lived on that for 11 years

Metronidazole AB helped a lot in the early years too

4. Elizabeth Freeman

Thank you so much for replying, no one I knew has ever known or had a dog with this condition before. What symptoms did your dog have at the time? Did he have any bad flare ups?! I would love to know more about him. It's nice to know someone has been through the same thing.

5. rona

Elizabeth Freeman likes this.
  6. Elizabeth Freeman

He is 7 years old
    No he hasn't had a test for the B12 at the moment. He's very weak and not wanting his food which is making it tricky as we want him to eat so he isn't so weak but at the same time not sure what to give him to tempt him to eat!

7. rona

White fish?

What food do you feed?

8. rona

9. Elizabeth Freeman

He would normally have wainwrights dry food and chicken breast.
    I will try the white fish too!

10. rona

How long had your dog been ill?

I've given the P@H Step up to Naturals range to several dogs with tum issues, even one with pancreatitis and it hasn't upset any of them,

I've found that most of P@H foods have chicken as a base. Have you considered it may be chicken?

11. Elizabeth Freeman

We rescued him from the RSPCA when he was 4, and he had a very bad flare up within months of having him, he then had antibiotics, metrobactin and iron tablets to ease it off and he seemed okay as long as he was on a very low dosage of meds.. hes been up and down the past few years but at the minute he is the worst he has ever been.. it started within the past couple of weeks we have gradually noticed him going off his food and becoming more lethargic and his poos are runnier with blood and mucous.
    I will have a look at that food. Does dry or wet food work best? Or doesn't it matter as long as it's that brand?
    No i hadnt given that a thought to be honest.
    Sorry for so many questions just wanting to try and get some information.

12. rona

Wet is apparently easier to digest. If the food you use has been ok most of the time, I wouldn't be changing it as the flare up could be from something else,something as simple as a piece of food dropped into your garden by birds, or even cat poo in your garden
    I would recommend a blood test for his B12 levels. Muddy was about 8-9 when he was tested and found to be very low. Once he had Cobalamin injections, he was far more stable, though we had trouble with those too because the animal form didn't work for him and they had to order in the human form......there's 3 types

Here's a thread about the types
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/the-vet-ballsed-up.391265/#post-1064047596

13. rona

I cannot say this more strongly.......Do not change food unless you are convince it's the food causing it. Do not give treats of any kind, don't allow scavenging

We used to even shout at people who tried to give Muddy treats

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hi Elizabeth,
    I’m sorry your dog is feeling so poorly.
    Heidi had a tummy upset years ago that took months to resolve. Mainly my fault for being too hasty.
    Chopping and changing, trying to get her better, making it worse. In the end her tummy was so sensitive the least little thing upset it. After a much appreciated ticking off from Rona I went back to a bland diet of chicken and rice and stuck to it for as long as it took to get solid pooh and then some. Gradually introducing her food. First sign of trouble, a step back, sometimes to 100% chicken and rice and try again. It took months. The smallest little deviation caused problems. I finally got her back to a variety of food and treats but I had to introduce each one ridiculously slowly.

That was my nightmare after a simple tummy upset so please don’t make my mistake!!

If you feel the food isn’t causing it, I’d use the Wainwrights kibble, soaked in water until it’s soft to make it easier to digest, fed little and often as a starting point.

Hope the first step in the right direction is just around the corner.

rona likes this.
  15. rona

This^^ 100%

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice