Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Infected paw, again!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ClaireLily, Jul 28, 2009.

1. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Hiya, me again, sorry!

We just had Tiffany at the vet again to get a second opinion on her sore paw. It turns out its infected. Back at christmas time she had an infected paw which started when she got a pad stuck in a vent on the microwave, she needed 4 antibiotic injections and an antibacterial wash, it took about 6 weeks to full heal.
    This time its the other paw and its not nearly as bad, we got her to the vet sooner (we were on holiday when she hurt her other one) and she has been given an antibiotic injection and cream to put on, my question is are some cats prone to paw infections?

We have no idea how she did it this time, she doesn't go out, unless maybe she got a splinter from sharpening her claws on our wood table?

Its tough going to think we will be spending upwards of £80 every 3 months for her paws, we have insurance but by the time you pay the excess its like claiming for £15. Hopefully this is just bad luck, anyone ever had anything similar?

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

IS Tiffany the older cat? Yes, some cats can be prone to damaging themselves and if she is the older cat then she may not be cleaning herself well enough and that's how it ends up infected. Isn't she the one that poops outside her litter tray too? That won't help if she accidentlat treads in it with a sore paw. If I have the wrong cat forgive me.

3. ClaireLily

God she's well know for her flaws :eek:

Yep indeedy thats Tiff, the OH keeps threatening to give her away, the £50 a month cat he calls her.

She def doesn't step in her poo, she runs so far and fast after she's done, she doesnt even cover it, same when she wee's no digging in the trays for Princess Tiff.

I presume she must have hurt is somehow then she won't keep it out her mouth constantly chewing on it and licking it which isn't helping :rolleyes:

I have seen a number of articles online saying to use peroxide apparently it heals paws really quick diluted 50:50 with water but its too late now I have all the expensive vet stuff.

4. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I would get in some hibiscrub - a solution made with that is great for cleaning wounds, and some intrasite gel - Boots do it - a clear gel that draws out toxins and promotes healing. Add those two things to your medicine cabinet. You could try taping a baby sock over her bad paw once its all cleaned and dressed (2x a day) to stop her chewing at it and keep it clean. If you use that micro pore tape thats not too sticky so will be easier to remove from any furry bits. Those sorts of wounds are probably better left to the open air, but if she is worrying at it all the time, that won't be helping either.

5. ClaireLily

Thanks for that I'll def get some intrasite in. I'd rather not cover the paw just now, it actually doesn't look or smell infected like the one did before, its just a bit crusty down the side of a pad.
    I'm sure (like last time) the injection will sort it out but unlike last time instead of letting it come back I'll keep treating the paw topically with either the stuff the vet has given us (not sure what it is yet as OH took her, I'm at work) or with intrasite. She has to go back to vet in a fortnight so they can see if she needs another injection but I'm hoping not. I hate pumping chemicals into my babies, I usually try to use things like tea tree oil, just in this case I wasn't convinced it was enough.

6. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-283-intrasite-gel.aspx so you can read more about it. Thats a pack of 10 shown there, Boots do them singly. Its great stuff, I was given it for a cat with an abscess that had burst and it was just a gapping hole with necrotic tissue, after a day, it was lovely and red and it has started to heal.

7. ClaireLily

Update, we had Tiff back at the vet again this evening, the paw is no better after the antibiotic injection, the fuciderm creme and the hibiscrub baths.
    She has to go back in to the vet tomorrow morning to have swabs and a biopsy done :(
    I'm so worried about her, my poor girl. The vet has absolutely no idea what could be going on. Now we have the task of keeping the kittens separate with their food and poor Tiff starved!

No doubt I'll be on here all morning tomorrow until I hear shes ok. God knows what I'll be like if I ever have kids I can't bear anything being wrong with my kits.

Good vibes please, heres hoping its nothing serious and we get it sorted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice