Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Infected flea bite. Help Please.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Scarlet-Luna Clementson, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Scarlet-Luna Clementson

Scarlet-Luna Clementson PetForums Newbie

Thank you to everyone willing to try and help me out here. I'm the owner of a very precious cat named Lavender. About 6 months ago I noticed a scab on her head, initially I left it assuming she'd either had a scrap with another cat or caught herself whilst scratching, but it started to raise and become a growth. I took her to the vet and they checked it out and explained it was an 'infected flea bite' and confirmed it wasn't cancerous. Lavender did have fleas but has been completely clear (as has the house) for at least 6 months. They prescribed her some Hibiscrub and told me to dilute it 1:1 with water, due to the growth being on the back of her head/upper neck she isn't able to lick or bite it. I researched Hibiscrub a little and found that most owners prescribed this for their pets are told to dilute it 1:3 or even 1:10, but put the vet telling me to dilute it less down to the growth being out of oral reach. I've been applying the Hibiscrub once a day ( as advised ) however the growth has gotten a little bigger, she keeps scratching it and pulling the scab off (its placed exactly where her back feet hit her neck when she scratches) and I'm having to clean it twice daily as she keeps pulling the scab off. The vet gave me an Elizabethan collar to put on her if she kept disturbing it, however I've tried to put on her on a few occasions and it's not gone 'well' in any sense. I'm convinced the collar is too short for her, it looks very small around her head and she's incredibly fluffy so her fur sticks out and further disturbs her peripheral vision. She also can't seem to get used to the collar, I know this is rather common if a cat hasn't worn one at all but I'm struggling to keep it on her longer than a day when I don't believe it's the right size either. I've also thoroughly researched "cat wounds, cat boils, infected flea bite on cat" etc, however I can't find anything that looks the same or any advice. I'm definitely going to take her back to the vet as soon as possible, but if there's anything anyone can contribute as to what it may be and any ways to bring down/remove the growth or whether she'll have to go in to surgery please let me know.

All the best and thank you for your time.
    Scarlet-Luna x

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Scarlet-Luna Clementson and welcome :)

This is the advice from Viovet, an online veterinary pharmacy, on how to use Hibiscrub for pets:

"Hibiscrub is a powerful antiseptic solution, used to discourage harmful bacteria. It is not intended to aid healing and should NOT be applied to open or angry wounds. Hibiscrub contains chlorhexidine gluconate which is effective against a wide range of bacteria, yeasts, some fungi and viruses, so it is often used post-surgery to sterilise the body (avoiding the wound site). Before using Hibiscrub on your pet, always read the instructions carefully and get vet advice on its suitability. For general cleaning, only use Hibiscrub in diluted form as it can exacerbate skin problems and cause irritation. Best used for sterilising and not healing."

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Hibiscrub-Skin-Cleanser/c944/

As you see it is not suitable for treating an open wound and not to be used for healing. If it is not diluted correctly it can make skin problems worse and cause skin irritation. Some cats may also be allergic to the ingredient of Hibiscrub (Chlorhexidine Gluconate).

When I used Hibiscrub on my cat I diluted it at the ratio of one teaspoonful of Hibiscrub to 500 mls of water.

If it were me I would stop using the Hibiscrub. I would make a saline solution of 1 teaspoon of salt to 250 mls of water. Use non-iodized salt (table salt). For a sterile solution, dissolve the salt in boiling water. Keep the solution sterile by placing a lid on the container so no microorganisms get into the liquid or airspace as the solution cools. Use the solution once it has cooled to blood temperature. Dip clean cotton wool in the solution and bathe the wound. Pat the area around the wound dry with clean paper tissues.

I assume you are not in the UK - are you able to find a different vet for your cat ?

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Regular bathing with salted water as above would be my advice too.

Hopefully, there will be less irritation so she might leave it alone to heal.

If there is any sign of infection then antibiotics might be in order too.

4. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Warm salty water bathing and throw away the cloth after to stop germs.
    I like to put a bit of aqueous cream on to keep the skin soft. Vaseline is ok too.

If it’s infected it will be red warm smelly and maybe have a discharge or pus. Wounds need to heal from the base up not just scab over

Hope this helps

5. Scarlet-Luna Clementson

Thank you so much for your help! I’m making some now. Yes I am in the UK, I’m with the PDSA♥️

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Please let us know how things go with your cat after you have bathed the wound for a couple of days with the saline solution. :) (Bathe it twice a day)

7. Scarlet-Luna Clementson

Hello again!

I just wanted to say a massively huge thank you for the help you’ve given me. I’ve been applying the saline once daily for five days (I keep meaning to do it twice a day but I have ADHD and I’m particularly forgetful before I’ve taken my medication in the morning!) and the growth has already shrunk by about half maybe even more depth wise. By this I mean there are no longer any signs or inflammation or irritation. Lavender wasn’t very happy when I applied the saline the first time, I knew this because when I went to apply it the second time she sort of froze a bit, however she wasn’t in any way hostile and I suspect this is because it was feeling much better for her. On the third day the wound was completely closed and scabbed over so due to the healing it no longer stings her! I’ll monitor it over the next week or so and let you know whether the growth reduces in size (in terms of the overall area).

Thank you again for all your kind help

All the best ♥️

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi, thank you for the update.:)

I am glad the wound has closed and scabbed over - excellent news! Well done :)

No need to bathe it any longer now, the scab will fall off of its own accord when it is ready to do so, leaving nice new skin underneath. :)

9. Scarlet-Luna Clementson

Hello again,

Thank you that's really helpful! I'll let you all know when its disappeared!

10. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Great news

11. Scarlet-Luna Clementson

Hi all

Just a little update, lavender came to say with me 5 minutes ago whilst I was working on my laptop, I noticed she’d pulled the scab off, however I think she was merely scratching and when it started hurting she came to me (she tends to do this every time she pulls it off).

She’s let me clean it without making a fuss and is now sleeping on my lap, the good news is that the growth is completely visible (she pulled the scab and any excess dry blood off completely) and has shrunk by about half in terms of area.

I’ve just reapplied the saline, shall I keep this up as I did before and do so until the wound is no longer fresh and leave it once it’s scabbed over?

Thank you again!

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The main thing now is to keep the wound dry so the healing can continue and a new scab can form. I would only continue to bathe it with the saline solution if the wound is bleeding or looking very sore.

EDIT : are you able to post a clear photo of how the wound looks now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice