Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indy's toxic bum!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IndyGoJones, Jan 1, 2012.

1. IndyGoJones

IndyGoJones PetForums Member

My poor pup! Just checking if it's normal for a puppy to make trumps that smell like sewerage?

I think it's down to him having a great time last night and despite our best efforts we saw a few people at the party sneak him some scraps. We're trying very hard to feed him a very simple, healthy puppy diet but some people just can't resist can they?

We keep taking him outside every half hour so he can poop if he needs to (which thankfully are becoming less liquid)

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Thanks :)

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If people have poked all sorts of god knows what and rich food down him then yep its normal can really upset their tums. It can also mean that the gut is not happy in the form of a bug or infection too, but sounds from what you say food and stuff his not used to in this case may be the culprit.

Usualy practice is too miss a meal or two, and let it make its way through. Then feed a bland plain resting diet, Like Boiled rice, chicken boiled or grilled
    (no skin its full of fat). Or you can feed boiled rice and white boiled fish (check for bones) Or even boiled rice and plain scrambled egg. Keep him on that you should see an improvement in 24/36 hours if not completely back to normal. Just carry on feeding the bland stuff until completely normal and stayed that way for a day or so.

If you see no improvement whatsoever though, it gets worse, or he developes other symptoms like, vomitting as well, becomes lethargic and uninterested in things then consult a vet.

A good thing to keep in for iffy tums with no other symptoms is Pro Texin ProKolin, Its natural and bind the loose faeces, settles the stomac and puts back the good gut bacteria, Vets do it and I thik maybe Pets at home.
    You can also buy it online usually cheaper I get mine from vet-medic.com which is one place.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Just has an after thought, keep an eye on him some people are stupid enought to feed cooked chicken pieces including the bones. These are not good, they can splinter and be sharp, causing damaged to the intestines and digestive tract. Look out too from him becoming listless and trying to vomit and not bringing anything up, or trying to go to the toilet straining and passing nothing. Sounds like he is getting rid of any gas which is good, but dogs can get something called Bloat, the gas builds up in the gut, and can cause the stomach to twist. They tend to be lethargic and have very hard bloated bellies that are as tight as a drumskin, they will also usually not settle and lay in a relaxed position on their side, but instead lay like an egyptian spinx. Bloat ia a medical emergency you have around 30/60 minutes to get the dog to see a vet.

This is all probably totally unecessary and not intended to frighten, its probably as said upset guts because of a load of rich rubbish hes not used to being poked down him. Never hurts to be familar with symptoms though.

4. CKD1

CKD1 PetForums Junior

Aww poor lad :( If he was my dog I'd do exactly what everyone else has said.

I hope he's feeling better soon :)

5. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I found smelly bum came from Charlie having too many meat-based treats on top of his usual food. So maybe too much protein = smelly bum. Anyway, I switched to rice based or veggie based treats/chews and it stopped.

But what you're describing sounds like puppy diarrhoea from being overfed, and overfed on food he shouldn't have had.

If the runny poo lasts for a couple of days you NEED to go to the vet. But in the meantime, feed boiled rice and fish and make sure they don't get dehydrated.

6. IndyGoJones

IndyGoJones PetForums Member

Thank you :)

He's cleared up since we altered his diet. I think he might have quite a sensitive tum, but at least his stools have firmed up. And he's feeling much better after his visit to the vet. It turned out he had an infection from the kennels, and had antibiotics, anti-vomiting injections.

We fed him on chappie and puppy kibble for a few days and he's improved a lot. Still the odd awful trump, but nothing too bad. Will keep on trying till we get the poor tyke on a diet that suits him :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice