Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indorex/Fleas

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Dakota2869, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Dakota2869

Dakota2869 PetForums Newbie

Hello

I just registered and I am looking for some advice.

I have a cat that visits, ever since my old cat passed away, it has been visiting for over four years, the owners moved and now it rarely visits but always comes back at random times, I pet it, it rolls about on the kitchen carpet and I give it a meal, then off it goes, anyways I am concerned it may have brought some fleas with it.

I recently got a new 1.5 year old female cat ( neutered ) the owners did not want her, third child on the way and running a restaurant with no time to look after a cat, they claim it’s always been an indoor cat, they also claim she had all her shots and flea treatment but she was scratching a little when they brought her over, so maybe I am blaming the cat that visits but really it’s on my new cat and the owners were not so truthful, I do not know, if it’s the latter then I can only hope the cat that visits is safe and gets treated by it’s owners, I don’t know where they live now, it used to be two doors away.

To the point, I bought some 40ml Advantage flea pipettes as the cat weights 3.6kg, she will only eat dry food, will not touch wet food at all even though I keep trying to encourage it, seems healthy, poops once a day like clockwork, I also bought Indorex, two cans, my plan is to do each room separately and allow it to dry thoroughly before letting the cat into that room again, I need to wash bedding too as the cat has an adult double bed all to itself.

I am a little confused after thoroughly reading instructions for this and other sprays like this, it says it bonds to the surface and can last for twelve months, that’s the part that concerns me, the cat will not only lie down on the surface, be it a carpet or lino but the cat has been known to sometimes touch the carpet with her tongue or go after spiders, I suspect if they are dead she would eat them, oh and I don’t want to kill the spiders but I know this spray will do that but the fleas need to be controlled, anyways the question is, will she get poisoned by touching a treated surface with her tongue or if she lies down on the surface, this really concerns me, not just short term but long term issues that may arise, what is the opinion of users at this forum?

My plan would be to do the kitchen first, then her bedroom on the second day and downstairs living room and stairs on the third day, this includes a wooden table ( I think that should be done as she sits on it ) I have a leather couch, she sits on this too although I use a cover on it, she has climbed all over the radiators too but I suspect the heat would kill them, I cannot see fleas living on or inside radiators, more likely the floor under them, I am just concerned, once dry it is attached to surfaces but what if she licks those surfaces or Dreamies treats are placed on the surfaces?

2. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Once the Indorex has dried on the surface of your carpets it is perfectly safe to let the cats walk across as normal.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  3. Dakota2869

Dakota2869 PetForums Newbie

I know that, but what if they lick the surfaces, what if treats are laid on the surfaces, and although it says don’t spray bedding, what if the bed is used only by the cat, can I use my IQAir to air the room instead of opening windows, these are the small things I wonder about.

I found a flea on the bed, and I had hoovered the sheets throughly earlier, nothing could have hatched, it’s possible it came off the cat which means maybe the Advantage is working, I don’t know, I think I missed doing it between the shoulder blades and did it at bottom of the neck area, she is still scratching a little.

4. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

By surfaces I presume you mean hard surfaces like work tops, table tops etc.
    If you think the spray has gone onto such surfaces wash them as you normally would any other surface such as kitchen work tops.
    If I can't wash the cats bed I spray it and let it dry outside to make sure it's aired.
    Bedding and soft furnishings like throws etc should be washed as the rest of your laundry.
    No idea about your IQAir, but leaving windows open for ventilation is adequate and should be normal at present due to covid. Windows should be opened wide for an hour or so after using the spray to give maximum airing.
    It's sounds like the spot on is working so wouldn't worry too much if you put it in the wrong place this time. You will find dead or dying fleas which have dropped off your cat and this is normal after flea treatment. It's perfectly normal for the cat to be itchy after treatment as the fleas become very active as they respond to the spot on, and will gradually decrease as the fleas die off and her skin becomes less irritated.
    Do make sure to empty your vacuum cleaner away from the house to avoid the possibility of any fleas coming back inside. If you have a flea collar cut it up and place in the vacuum bag to help kill off any hatching fleas.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice