Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indoor to outdoor transition

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Helen Raymond, Aug 3, 2019.

1. jjimjam

jjimjam PetForums Junior

Don't forget to keep them indoors for a few weeks after moving. That's the standard routine. (butter on paws is optional)

It's going to be getting cold in November, but I normally just leave the back door open for the whole time they are out, or allowed out. Just until they get accustomed to it. Then move on to using the catflap.

2. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Winter is a good time to start letting a cat out, as they're more likely to come back to the warmth.

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Not sure I agree with that, it is also dark for so much longer making it more dangerous .

lorilu likes this.
  4. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Agree, I should have added in the day time, not at night. I wouldn't let a new cat go out at night.

buffie likes this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

It might work if the owner is around all day but unless you don't go out to work that would be difficult to manage and regardless of whether a cat is used to going out or not it isn't wise to allow them out when its dark .

Jackie C and lorilu like this.
  6. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Oh, I don't disagree with you, I'm just thinking out loud. :)
    I guess in the darkest weeks, it wouldn't work as it gets dark very early, but not everyone works 9 to 5. First time going out could be done on days off from work, whether that is weekend or in the week. Or if you work shifts where you start early and finish early. etc etc. I guess it's about working with what you have. There are advantages/disadvantages to both, in that summer/autumn, you can leave the door open sometimes. There is no 100% solution that works.

7. Amanda Sturdy

Amanda Sturdy PetForums Member

We have a Nextdoor digest it's an online neighbourhood scheme.So many cats lost or then found dead.My Bobbie is my companion and I want to keep her around as long as possible.You can enrich there lives but so many dangers and with winter coming even that's a danger when they grit the roads that's got anti freeze in.Plus the absolutely horrible people who catch them for baiting or if they catch them in there garden.The choice is yours but I for one could not rest not knowing where she was

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice