Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Indoor Rabbit Hutches

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by PurpleCrow, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

Sorry I didnt know this had gone through, read the one below -_-'

#21 Rini, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

I had to get an affordable cage when I was moving Rini indoors. I only have a full picture from when I first got her indoors. It's a bit messy as she had just been litter trained, and the white plastic around the outside is gone now as that was just to keep mess inside but it wasnt really needed after the hay was changed for fleece.
    [​IMG]
    I ended up buying a large dog crate as the shop bought ones were all too small and I needed a good sized cage as Rini is kept inside for a large part of the day.
    I and my dad built a wooden house and ramp for her although she can only go down the ramp as its too slippy to climb up, she would need bigger foot holds put in/on for going up, but we've never bothered as she never uses it, she just jumps to the top.

I am however going to build a new cage when I have the money as its quite hard to get her out, because its long and you have to reach and climb in to pick her out. Which isnt really a problem if you have a rabbit that is fine with being picked up but Rini can struggle a little.

I am going to build a 4 level condo with industrial/commercial shelving when I get enough money. I got the idea from ShadowTheBun from youtube. They were kind enough to send me some help and info on the building parts :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAjYJVfsb6I

In my opinion this is the best condo I've ever seen. The C&C Cages are good but in Britain I myself have only ever found the cubes in Costo which is a wholesale and you have to pay £30 for a membership.

Hope this gives you some ideas :)

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

wow shadows condo looks like a wardrobe! but its not far off what I was thinking. rabbits do need a lot of space as they get bored and fustrated easily. are you going to get her a friend?

4. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

Yeah I've got a piggy bank that I'm using to save up for the new cage :)

I have thought about it, but I wouldnt think about it before I make her newer cage (more room - her cage is fine for her but not for 2) and also I wouldnt know if it would be a good idea as she is very territorial and would possibly fight and not get on with another rabbit in her space :/ so no, I'm not thinking of getting a friend :(

5. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Rabbits NEED rabbit company :eek: If you are worried about her terroitory etc there are ways to sort that out and some rescue centres even offer a dating service for bunnies :thumbup: x

6. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

I dont have a car so it would be too stressful to take her by bus and she has started not liking even short trips to the vets so I doubt she would wanna be taken an hour into town on a noisey bus and then shuved in with a random rabbit. Not only that but I wouldn't dream of getting another rabbit before having a secure job and my new cage as that would be irresponsible and cruel.
    I have had to take Rini off pet insurence and I struggle with vet bills when she gets ill so I might think more about it when I get a job and my flat, although I wouldnt know any shelters up there and I totally wouldnt be able to get a lift there lol.

I dunno, I know she is probably lonely but I dont wanna rush into it as that would be stupid :/

7. claytondoesthewaltz

claytondoesthewaltz PetForums Newbie

Better still, build your own at less than half the cost to buy one

Free plans: Free rabbit hutch plans DIY

And I can vouch for this plan as I've made one myself, and am not out of pocket either!! :001_smile:

8. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

way too small.... :nono: x

9. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

Wow I commented on this ages ago.
    This is Rini's new condo

[​IMG]

I totally recommend building your own indoor cage for your rabbits, pet shop bought ones are far too small and anything decent is far too expensive :/

10. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Perfect house for ur little dwarfie hehe Im going to try build the same thing for my lot hehe BUT i need to make it bigger for my Lop... so im doing some measuring and hopefully will come up with something awesome like urs! :D x

11. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I don't believe house rabbits need a mate tbh, as long as your there with them for long periods then is not necessary..

12. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

If you're on about my condo then yeah, it suits my tiny rabbit (she's a lionhead x silverfox but took after the size of a lionhead) but you could always make it 3 shelves to make the height of each level taller and you could put one in front of the other to make a square condo or just one with a deeper depth.

Anyway I hope your housing turns out great ^.^

13. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

Well I try to make sure I give her attention whenever I'm in the room and when I'm feeding her and let her run around the top floor but because of work, college and family stress I probably dont sit with her as much as i could. I just wonder about getting a second rabbit being a good idea cause she is a little nervous and defensive. I dunno whether a mate would calm her down and what not... just dont want her to be mean to another rabbit if it doesnt go to plan!

14. Stufi

Stufi PetForums Junior

We have 2 XL Dog Crates on top of each other. Downstairs has their food and toilet and upstairs they have carpet and some ledges built in to sit/lay/sleep on. At the one end we have removed the bars and built up the end with C and Cs so that they have a little zig zag jump (i.e. like overlapping shelves, left, right, left, right) so that they can get up and down.

Easy to clean, plenty of room for when (not very often) thay are put inside it. Also easy to collapse and move if needsbe in the future.

C and Cs where found on Ebay (but we were lucky) and we haggled with 'Range' and got both XL cages for £104 (should have been £65 each)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice