Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indoor/outdoor

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Maiisiku, May 30, 2010.

1. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Why does my indoor cat 'need to go outside' near a busy road? :mad:
    Sorry but she's never been outside before. I really want to know why she 'needs' to go outside when she's perfectly happy with being inside.

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I'm not sure I understand your post. Is she suddenly needing to go out, or is someone telling you she should?

3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

she doesnt need to go out, if someone has told you she does then ignore them :)

4. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

My landlord said she needs to go out. It's because he's taken over my house for the weekend to fix the floorboards and I had to shut her in the diningroom. I came yesterday to let her run about and I'm home tonight. He said she needs to go outside and run around. But she's never been out before and there is a busy road near me. He said he didn't want me to have her and he doesn't want to let me have another cat but it's up to his wife. I respect it's his property but isn't it my decission wether I want to risk my cats saftey or not?

5. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

holly my indoor ragdoll will run out side if someone leaves the frount door open but i always get her in i thinks you cats proble happy indoors but the out side do look fun to him to what sort of cat do you have

6. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Of course its your decision. He was prolly just airing his opinion, I doubt he would order you to do it. Just tell him your cat is an indoor one and leave it at that :)

7. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I'm probably blowing it out of perportion because I'm upset with what he said about a second cat. But it's not the first time he's impossed his opinion on me. He keeps telling me to let her out. The road is too busy near me so I really don't want too. She's never been out before. I'm moving to cornwall next year I hope and I may consider it then if we live away from a busy road. But it upsets me that he's told me to let her out everytime we talk about her. I feel horrible enough as she is meowing and wants out. But I didn't want her to get hurt while he's doing the floorboards.

8. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

She will be fine in there its not permanent. And as for him he needs to be told that its your decision as it doesnt affect the house and its too late now that you have her he cant make you get rid of her as for the second one maybe its best to wait till you settle somewhere permanent so you wont have to rehome them in the future.

9. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

If he says yes then I will get another. I won't be rehoming any cats. I got Bailey on terms I am keeping her for life and I do have a back up if I can't find anywhere for a little while. I have a contract with my landlord so I won't have to get rid of Bailey and I will have a contract if I get another.

My family will help while I'm finding somewhere. I will be moving abroad in 4 ish years but they are coming with me. They are like kids (I have one) and I'd never leave them behind. I am only planning on 1 move in the next 4 years. I am going to start looking for somewhere well before as I know I'll have to because of the cats. People don't care about fish or rodents but they get funny about cats more so about dogs. My aunt would help out as she lives in Cornwall.

I don't know if it's because I have quite a few pets but they are all well looked after and fed. I have been home at least 1 time a day every day he's been doing the floorboards to check she has food, empty her litter tray and change the water. Give her some love etc. I let her have a big run around too.

10. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

I get this all the time, apparently im being cruel to my cat by not letting her outside even though we also live near a busy enough road where in the past 2 months 3 cats have been killed 2 of which were kittens. :(
    I was talking to a friend of mine and mentioned that my cat never goes outside, and she proceeded to tell me how cruel I was, she also told me she had 4 cats but all 4 of them ended up being crushed in her sister's car engine :)eek:) and that she would love another kitten and despite living right next to a busy road and having killed 4 cats already she would still let it outside because its 'natural'. :mad:

Have you though about bringing your cat outside on a lead, I bring my cat out for walks out in the garden. Its not like walking a dog, you don't decide where to go you just follow where ever your cat goes. Or you could build a cat enclosure, but if your renting then you would have to ask permission off the landlord and it would have to be movable and not permanent for when you move.

By the sounds of it he isin't too well educated about cats so just tell him that by letting the cat out you risk exposing it to deadly diseases and parasites such as fleas that will take years to be fully removed from his house. Should take the pressure off you. :lol:

Heres some pics of my Bunty out for a stroll on her lead.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice