Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indoor or outdoor?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Anele Jessica, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Here is an article of friend of mine:

"Indoor or outdoor"
    by Lucinda King of Handaros Maine Coons

Fifteen years ago my Mum lost her much loved cat to a car accident, the cat had been left to come and go as it pleased. She believed she was doing the right thing, indeed there are many people who think it cruel not to let cats roam, with many cat charities still advocating cat flaps. I have never and will never allow my cats to roam nor will I sell a kitten to a home where this will be allowed, below are the reasons why. Please take time to read them.

Firstly cats are at risk from:

Disease & illness - thousands of cats die every year from feline related illnesses, these risks are dramatically lowered by keeping your cat indoors.

Accidents - with the increasing number of cars on the road today so the rate of cats being run over will increase even in rural areas. Furthermore cats may cause accidents when drivers have to swerve to avoid them. Cats are also at risk of other types of accidents outside which may result in death or costly vets bills, not to mention the heartache you will suffer.

Chemicals - There are a number of poisons that may kill or seriously injure your cat that are commonly used in large numbers on people's properties ie lawn chemicals, weed killers, rat poisons, anti-freeze. Additionally many common plants are poisonous to cats.

Other animals - Other cats, dogs and wildlife may engage your cat in fights that may injure it resulting in costly treatment.

Humans - Sadly there are people who will harm a cat intentionally or even steal your cat to sell on to somebody else. Even cat lovers may entice your cat away perhaps believing it to be an unattended cat. Secondly cats are a risk to:

Other animals - cats are hunters and they will see birds and mice as prey. A well fed cat doesn't need to hunt and will not usually eat their prey. It's much nicer to watch the birds than have them frightened to come into the garden.

Humans - cats will use children's sandpits and other's gardens as litter trays, which may cause harm to a child or pregnant woman. They may also be a nuisance to your neighbors i.e digging up their flowerbeds, breaking into the garbage etc.

The average lifespan of an outdoor cat is 3-5 years, compare this to the 15-20 years average lifespan of an indoor cat!!

For more TopicFrmation read Housecat by Christine Church.

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Interesting post, everyone has to do what they think best for their animals, a lot depends on where you live, my cat is allowed outside whenever she wants as was my previous cat who lived to be 14. We live in a rural area and she hunts, kills and eats mice on a daily basis, despite being well fed. I have never seen her with a bird, of which I am glad, probably too much trouble. In a city centre the motality rate from cats being knocked over is very high, as a teenager we had a cat killed at 5, being knocked over, but another lived to be 17.

3. Yes - this subject was always very debatable....

4. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

I'd say either is fine. Personally my kittens are going to be outdoor cats when I get round to putting the catflap in. I live in a bungalow and don't feel they'd have enough space indoors and would just like them to roam free. Obviously RTAs are a risk but how many people have their dog's collars on too loose? Also, are people with house cats prepared to walk them?

5. We did, when we had entire huge moggy; we used to walk with him for about 2 miles on the lead; he'd spray everything he could on his way - and than go back home.

6. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

lol awww bless him!

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I used to believe that cats should have their freedom to roam without restriction but in the last 6 months I have lost 2 of my baby boys both in car accidents. One was nearly 2 and the other just over a year, they were both healthy, happy cats and they should of had many many years in front of them.

I feel very very guilty about this even now and whether its a good thing or not I would never, ever let any cats of mine out again. My 7 month old baby has never been outside and it seems like he wants to and sometimes I feel bad that I wont let him but I know I am only thinking of his wellbeing.

8. I've heard about some idiots who deliberately running cats or dogs over....

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I imagine it does but its too barbaric to think about, I've often wondered what I would do if I found the person responsible ... thats quite a scary thought too ..:mad:

Theres no such thing as "accidents", people dont run over cats and not realise it! Those who ignore them are just as guilty as those who do it deliberately.

10. My biggest fear is to accidentally run over anything leaving...

11. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

I have an advantage if I run something over, I can stabilise it afterwards. :p

1 person likes this.
  12. ???????????????????????????

13. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

she is a vet nurse

14. oh - I see....wouldnt be very helpful if spine broken or head smashed....Sorry.

15. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

My female never leaves the house although my oldest male does he was a stray and loves the outdoors he goes mad if he cant go out I'm just glad we live in the street we do as there is a dead end at the top with only a path up the mountain so its very quiet, however if I had a new cat it would be kep indoors with walkies on lead, to make sure it was safe

16. Lisa M

Lisa M PetForums Member

My eldest cat has always been allowed outside and goes crazy if I try to keep her in.
    My 2 male Siamese really want to go out, but there is no way I would let them. I live in a very quiet area with our garden backing onto fields and allotments (which are a real hazard) They are both SO nosy and non-streetwise that they wouldnt last the day. We build them a garden run instead. :)

I can see both sides of the debate :confused:

17. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

me too I wish it was safe to let them all out but these days with more and more trafic and people stealing animals to sell for profit its not so safe any more

18. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

lol I know that! It was said in jest...

19. for people who did lost they're pets this way that smiley wont work.........

20. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

I was not referring to anyone who had lost their specific pets that way. When you see these things everyday you can't dwell on it. Sorry if it offended you... I had a dog that died of cancer but I don't cry everytime an animal dies of cancer...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice