Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indoor or Outdoor?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MochiNightmare, May 3, 2010.

1. MochiNightmare

MochiNightmare PetForums Newbie

I have recently got the most beautiful kitten, who has been immediately integrated into the family with no problems. However, I live in a very busy area in London with a very high cat ownership percentage and lots of traffic. The gardens in the area are minute and our direct neighbours own 5 cats altogether. Recently one of them got poisoned and a cat got run over a few months ago. 7

I'm really worried about mine being an outdoor cat, I've seen a kitten being run over and it was absolutely horrific. However, most people think it is cruel to keep a cat permanently indoors. I'm willing to exercise him every day and provide toys, climbing trees etc... to keep him happy but am very reluctant to allow him outside.

I have also researched a little and found that indoor cats tend to have a stronger bond with their owners as they are around them more and will not get in fights with other cats, get parasites, run over or poisoned etc. etc. What are your opinions on the situation?

2. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Hi there!

From the sound of your situation I would definitely keep your kitten as an indoor cat. I've lost a young cat to traffic in the past and it was devastating. My current two are outdoor cats, as they always have been and it would be cruel to keep them in permanently now. Having said that, they're not allowed out at night, and each time I let them out I'm paranoid until they're back inside safely (Plato's death really hit me hard).

A couple of year's ago I rescued a beautiful little female cat, Minnie. Unfortunately my other two weren't too pleased with this new addition, so I gave her to a friend of mine who had recently lost their cat. Because my friend lives beside a relatively busy road, all her cats are indoor cats (she too has lost 3 cats to that road). Initially I thought Minnie wouldn't be able to cope as an indoor cat (she's a completely nutty livewire), but she's settled down brilliantly! She's still as crazy as ever, but she has plenty of toys to keep her busy, as well as terrorising all the dogs who come to visit.

Keeping a cat indoors is definitely not cruel, as long as they have some form of mental stimulation (or they'll just find some furniture to amuse themselves with instead :lol:).

Good luck! :)

hobbs2004 likes this.
  3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Definately indoor it isn't cruel at all. You could take him out on a harness if you really want him to go outside but your cat would be much safer as would most cats if you kept him inside

4. MochiNightmare

MochiNightmare PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much! I think I shall keep our new family member well out of the road and I shall invest in lots of stimulating toys and such for him.

5. tordis

tordis PetForums Senior

I'd definitely keep the kitty indoors if I were you. Contrary to popular beliefs, indoor cats don't always end up unhappy and depressed. Make sure your precious baby has lots and lots of toys and give the kitten plenty of attention and you should be fine.

6. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

Both my cats are indoor cats and are perfectly happy. One thing I would suggest if you work or if the kitten gets left alone for long periods of time is to get him a friend. I had Marley has a single indoor puss for 18 months and he was ok but getting Layla certainly livened him up. It's lovely to watch them rolling around and chasing one another only to snuggle up at the end of the day :D

7. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

In your case I would definately keep a cat indoors. I do allow my cats outdoors, but I live in the middle of no where surrounded by fields, so it is safe. If I lived where you were, they would definately be inside.

However indoor cats can be just as happy as long as they are well stimulated.

8. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I don't belive that indoor cats have any stronger bond with their owners than cats that go outside - it really depends on the cat. All my cats go outside when they want, but I still have a whole pile of them sat on my knee in the evenings LOL!

If your garden is that small - it wouldnt be too expensive to cat proof it and then your cat could enjoy the outdoors but you'd know he'd be safe. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice