Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

indoor cats and outdoor space

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by edinburghblue, Jun 9, 2010.

1. edinburghblue

edinburghblue PetForums Newbie

Hi all, new to the forum. I live in a 2nd floor apartment in the city with no garden access and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any products for sale that allows indoor cats to wander out onto an exterior window ledge/sill safetly by way of some sort of enclosure?
    I have come across products that allow the window to be open and a mesh type cover to be put over the window but this doesnt allow the cat to get out at all.
    Any direction much appreciated, many thanks!

2. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Don't know of anything like that but have you thought of taking your cat for a walk?

3. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

I've not seen anything like that. I open my window a tiny fraction and one Cat pops her head out. She doesn't have enough room to get her shoulders and legs out so she is safe. It's not ideal but she seems happy.

4. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

I live in a high rise but have a huge balcony so I enclosed that with netting, do you have any outside space at all?

Getting the cat used to a walking jacket and taking them for a walk is one option, has the cat ever been out or is it an only indoor cat? :)

5. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I don't think there would be any way of safely customising a tiny window ledge.

My 4 month old kitten fell out of a 1st floor window on Saturday and it scared the life out of me! And I advise you not to have to go through the same horrible journey downstairs to find out if they are ok..... which luckily she is. I thought the window was closed to further, but she pushed it open more.

I have started walking my kitten now she has had injections, its only for a very short while as she is quite scared of the outside but towards the end she perks up. I got her harness on her by giving her treats and she doesn't even notice im doing it.

6. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

Eek thats my worst nightmare! Glad you're kitten is ok.

Luckily my windows 'lock'whilst open so that they cant be opened further unless 'unlocked'.

7. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

Anywhere a cat can fit its head, it can fit its body remember!

8. edinburghblue

edinburghblue PetForums Newbie

I have tried a few times and may persist as seems the safest option - thanks!

9. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

Yes ordinarily but my two are in the awkward teenage stage and have tiny pin heads on too big bodies. :D

In all seriousness I only have the window open wide enough for her to get her head out while I am right beside her to supervise. I am planning on getting some window guards so that we can open the window properly soon.

10. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

Hi i have seen something on the internet when i was looking for mesh to go over my windows, it was like a caged box, hard to explain but the cat could go out into it via the window.Not to sure where i saw it but if you just keep searching through google i am sure it will come up.Sorry i cant be more certain where i saw it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice