Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indoor cats and grass

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hello,

I read somewhere that all cats need to have access to grass so they can vomit out furballs. Is this true? How often will they need it?

Kori

2. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi Kori

I spoke to the lady from Cat's Protection who we got Ted and Dusty from and mentioned that our new kittens are going to be indoor for at least a year and hopefully longer if I can persuade hubby. She said that it is important for cats to have access to sunlight, fresh air and a small grassy area and recommended either letting them out on harnesses or building an enclosure. She said her four cats are indoor but she has an enclosure outside. She didn't mention anything about grass being good for furballs but I have also heard that before too. Cat's eat grass and it makes them sick them up apparently but not sure if it's a myth. Suppose it might be worth googling!

Sharon
    x

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

cats do like to munch on grass although it has never fully been proven why. the most common thories are 1. to obtain some roughage in their diets. 2, Get rid of hairballs (either by inducing vomiting or helping them move through the digestive tract) and 3, Obtain folic acid (folic acid deficiency can cause anaemia.

If a cat doesnt have access to grass it can lead to them nibbling on house plants which can be toxic for them. Not sure how often they need it but i let my cats out to play in the grass every other day or alternatively some people grow grass in a little pot in the house for their cats to nibble

4. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

when i took sheldon to the vets following a sick incident in which it all was grass, even left grass stains on the carpet. she said that all cats need grass and if your keepin a cat indoors you shud grow some for it to chew on.

5. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

The likes of Pets at Home sell cheap kits that you can grow your own grass with - mine like it, but it's not essential. very easy & quick to grow :D

6. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

We have 2 cats and both have access to the great outdoors but they only go out from time to time. Both like a nibble on some grass very rarely and quickly barf if up.

My friend in New York has always had cats and never have access to outside space. Living on the 15th floor of an apartment building I should hope not! :D
    The earliest age any of her cats died has been 15. She is a veterinary nurse and works in an enormous practice. She said she has never worked with a vet who thinks cats must have access to grass.

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I have honestly never ever seen one of my cats indoor or out cough up a fur ball!

I think they sell it at zooplus though!

8. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I bought some cat grass seed's from ebay for a couple of pence for my cats.

I grow it in little containers and my cats love it!

9. may

may PetForums VIP

I also grow it in little containers and my cats love it!:D:D

10. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

I have cat grass bought from Pet's at Home, mine's not so keen, but just incase I cannot take him into the garden, it is a second best, as he likes to graze the lawn. It is best to let them nibble the grass before they are fed otherwise they will throw up what they have just eaten if given after.
    I had outdoor cat's before & they both grazed & regurgitated.
    Good luck.

11. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

I've grown huggins of grass for my lot but they wont touch it, they've never been bothered for the patches in the garden either.

I give them the Mark Chappell Defurrum treats and (touch wood) they've never had a problem with furballs or throwing anything up - and I have 3 longhair cats! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice