Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indoor cats and decorating....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ljs85, Sep 28, 2013.

1. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

What do you do with your cats when you're decorating?

I'm thinking of painting my doors and bannister in a couple of weeks as they need a touch up. The problem is the cats. I suspect that paint and cats won't be a good combination :biggrin5: but what should I do with them? The paint will take at least 24 hours to dry and I have an open plan living room with the bannister in it, meaning I would have to keep them outta the living and either:

a) stick them in one bedroom all day - but I don't feel that would be good for them
    b) stick them in the kitchen where they would also have access to the run we are in.
    c) plop them over to my mum's who only lives on the same street as me. For this to work I would have to start taking them over to get used to my mum's before hand.

Which of these sounds like the better option? Or is there an option I haven't thought of?

2. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

I'd opt for the kitchen option.

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Yep, I go for the kitchen too.

4. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

I'd go for the kitchen option too :)

5. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

It was B or C for me. I think I would go with C as teaching them to be able to go over to your mum's maybe really useful for any future emergency or event. We take ours around twice a month now to the inlaws so they keep up the scents and familiarities. This is really useful when we had, insulation done for the walls, fencing done and when we go away on holiday. They are all used to it and it gives them a new environment to smell and search around. The inlaws have been so good, they have even had the garden cat proofed even though they don't have cats!!!! Just ours visiting.

6. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

What kind of paint are you using, 24hours drying is an awful long time :eek:

Most paint these days are low VOC or no VOC by law for health and environmental reasons and so very fast drying as they are water based. You could if need be apply a full system in less than 24hours ie primer, undercoat and topcoat. If you are just touching up existing paint with topcoat, an hour should be sufficient.

If you are using old style petroleum solvent based paint, please have a look at the new paints, long term solvent paints continue to offgas and can cause health problems throughout their lifetime.

There are full 'eco' paint alternatives and even the big paint producers like dulux, johnsons, etc have by law had to reformulate with low VOC, these are very good paints with long durability and minimum offgassing and clean up problems.

7. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

TBH I know nothing about paint, first time house owner so I'm basing it on what my dad said :eek:

I'm using gloss (not picked out which). I've looked on the Homebase website and it says touch dry in 2 hours :)

Option B it will probably be - though option C would be nice to do anyway for a change of pace and make it easier on them if I go on holiday next year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice