Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indoor cat run

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by firstprincess, Jan 10, 2013.

1. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

Hello!

I have 2 small burmese cats, they roam my house when im home - i work from home so most of the time. BUT when i go out they rip the wallpaper off the walls, eat my vinyl flooring, and get themselves into mischief! After a foreign body removal our vet has advised a cage for when i pop out! So what should i use and and where can i buy? im looking to move in the next year and will try and get an extra room for this purpose. But in the meantime i need something for 2 small cats, a bowl and a litter tray... :)

2. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

I have a 6 foot wide by 6 foot high by 3 foot deep cattery inside the cat's bedroom which is where their litter boxes are. We feed them their raw food in there so it's confined to a small area as we use the rest of the bedroom ourselves for other things too.

When we go away I shut them in so there's less risk of them doing damage to themselves or anything else.

It's not a huge area, but their beds are two large radiator beds so they're off the floor and nice and warm. The cattery is also in front of a window so they can sit on the window sill to watch the world go by or to cool down.

I personally think you'd need this sort of height. I'm planning on putting some shelves in and other high places for them, as cats are arboreal and will not enjoy being in a pen on the ground for periods of time.

It's easy to make your own cattery panels to any size and shape you want. Nail 4 bits of wood together to make a frame (extra bits in the middle for support if they're large) and then staple either cat safe netting or chicken wire to one side. To connect them together just use cable ties.

For your cats and your situation, I say go as high as you can and keep the square footage on the ground to a minimum so it doesn't take up much space. If you've got a corner of a room somewhere, get 2 6x3 panels and put it in the corner. Add something for the roof for stability and security, and either get/make a cat tree to go as high as it can, or screw in some shelves. Put the litter box on the floor and the beds up high, and I think that would be stimulating enough for two little cats.

#2 NexivRed, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  3. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

Aren't Burmese fun!?

What kind of things/equipment do you currently have to enrich their environment? Do they compete for this at all?

4. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

Wow, that's great advice, thank you.

They are my best friends! I wouldn't change them if I didn't have to go out, ha ha. Good job I'm not the travelling type. They are perfect all day, I nip out and come back an hour later to devastation!

They have free run of the house, they have 5 cat tree's! Including 2 in front of the patio doors for best viewing. Hundreds of toys, wall toys, toys hanging from the wood beams in my kitchen, radiator beds in most rooms, boxes to hide in, a tent, a tunnel - they are like my kids! And they are sooooo angelic until I go out!! And then they eat my furniture and yowl!

We considered a small connected cat run. But my girl burmese won't even sit near the closed doors or windows if its at all blowy! And next doors dog barks incessantly and scares the life out of my boy! So we gave up that idea!

I leave the radio on, feed them before I leave - they still get up to mischief, I can cope with the samage but the boy had a foreign body recently :( where he had been chewing my sofa.... So I'd rather not risk it.

Now to plan where to build something.... They love the patio doors but that is used as access a lot :(

5. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

Hmm, looks like constructing something will be your only option then! Little buggers!!

My two do like to chew but fortunately, any destruction is fairly tame!!

I think we'll need to see pictures in order to advise further!! There are not enough Burmese on this forum!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice