Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indoor cat is now desperate to get out!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by harrison79, May 18, 2010.

1. harrison79

harrison79 PetForums Member

Hey

i don't often post on the cat forum as my lovely house cat is generally no bother and it is just the devil dog we have issues with ;)

However, over the past couple of months Page our cat has been desperate to get out of the house. He is 7 years old and always been an indoor cat, i used to live in a top floor flat so he couldn't even really see the world apart from the birds in the sky!! But we moved to a house in September last year, and also got a puppy. The cat really isn't arsed about the dog, but he is really jealous of the dog getting out in the garden.

He has tries to make a break for it any time the door is open and also sits on the windowsill meowing loudly when the dog is in the garden. I feel so sorry for him :frown:

I feel we maybe should just bite the bullet and let him out, but i am so scared!!! :eek: We have a busy road behind us, but infront of the house we have lovely woods where he would have great fun exploring.

Can anyone share any advice if they have experience of this... a cat being housebound for so long and then letting them out. Is there anything i can do to make sure he comes home?!

We have tried a harness and lead on him, but he hates it and it just panics him so i don't want to try this outside as he may just do a shoot in panic.

Is it just a case that i have to just bite the bullet and be prepared that he might not come back... but he will have had fun exploring!

xx

2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

If he is so desperate as he seems to get out then he will eventually escape.

What i would do is accomplish things in a controlled manner.

You have two basic options (as a harness wont work) which allow him some outside time in complete safety.

You could catproof your garden, there are several commercial companys and some DIY plans online to help. It involves different fencing additions (using your existing fencing) or spinning poles to ensure your cats cant escape. OR you could build a cat run from a window or back door to allow him some time in the sunshine.

Hope they give you some ideas.

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I also would be inclined to look at ways to give him more freedom. My 2 are indoor cats as they have never wanted to venture out depite having a choice so I'm not against indoor but your boy seems to want to explore.
    If you keep him in there will become a time when he does escape & that would be far more dangerous should he make a run for it with you running after him.
    Is there any way you can deter him from the main road, can you raise the wall/fence? Encourage him to use the front more by giving him treats there, feeding him some of his meals, putting some toys there so he is more inclined to use that area OR as suggested above a cat run although again he may start to feel cooped up but at least he will have more freedom.
    I really do think that some cats are not meant to be indoor only & despite the possible dangers it is more cruel to keep them locked in if they are desperate to get out.

I found this old thread which has some useful tips about fencing/houses if that is an option

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-training-behaviour/15613-cat-proof-garden.html

#3 Cleo38, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. harrison79

yeah i am beginning to feel it is cruel to keep him in and he is better to get out and explore. But the thought of anything happening to him makes me feel sick! However, i really have to just bite the bullet.

As you say if he was to escape then it would be horrendous, so it is better we plan it.

I will look into the options for catproofing but it is probably best for him not to be confined to the garden as he wouldn't get any peace from the dog!

So worrying but we will just have to do and keep my fingers crossed that he comes back!

x

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Has he been for his 'OP' yet? That might help with his wandering if you do let him out. A busy road to a un-neutered tom is no deterrence.

The advice above is excellent, but I also wanted to add ... how did you try the harness? I know it's something that has to be done gradually, and indoors until they are relaxed enough to walk with you on it indoors. I bought a harness and seperate leash for Rilly, and we went through getting her used to it and everything (it took numerous attempts over a few weeks), but she just isn't interested in going outside :lol: We do live by a main road though, and I think the traffic scares her.

6. harrison79

Hi, yes he is done so as you say hopefully that will help. As for the harness... we tried to introduce this to him slowly... we tried treats to try and distract him and associate the harness with something good... even on the rare occassion when we managed to get it on him he would just scratch at it tying himself up in it... he was very stressed and just didn't take to it at all.

I will maybe dig it out and give it one last try!

7. bevstretton

bevstretton PetForums Member

Have you tried the harness with the cat outside, our 2 indoor cats did panic, when first putting them on, however soon learnt that harness meant going out into the garden, do you bring in fresh grass for you cat to eat, sometimes thats all they want, it helps bring up any fur ball, which naturally this time of year

8. harrison79

I know what you are saying about him knowing the harness means he will get out so we have tried it in front of the open door we have gotten as far as getting outside followed by a manic panic and an almost hung cat :eek6: After that experience i am terrified to take him out on his harness cos if he panics then he could be off like a shot!

Will try the grass and see if that keeps him happy!

Oh what a dilema!!

9. mellowyellow

mellowyellow PetForums Member

If you deside to take him out on the harness again bring his carrier. That's what I do with nala as she gets scared if people come to close and I like knowing I can get her safe quickly (she is in the habit of trying to reverse out of the harness if spooked). She likes going back in as it's her little safe haven so goes in willingly if she gets scared.

10. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Let him out bit by bit, And keep a close eye on him. Maybe on a leash to start with but we didnt bother, and indie is fine, Just roams abour back garden, No probs as yet. Fingers crossed.

Hope it works out for you both.

11. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

My Birman has been like this the past couple of weeks. I put a harness on him & BOOM no longer interested!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice