Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indoor cat flea treatment

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jen8971, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

Hi everyone!

Ash has been an indoor cat strictly with only little access to our balcony on a harness since we got him. Now he is older we are keen to take him to quiet supervised areas on his harness to see if he likes it. He hasn't had flea or worm treatment since last summer when he was at the vets.

I know some of you have indoor cats who only get out on a harness to the garden or to quiet areas - what do you use for treatments and how often? I know some are POMs as well so need a prescription, is that a better option to go via the vet?

Grateful for any advice :)

2. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

Nope. Not necessary. Very low risk indeed of flea contamination on a supervised visit where he won’t interact with other animals. Why pump him full of chemicals unnecessarily?

Jen8971 and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I have never used flea treatment on Meeko in all of his 11 years .
    He is indoor /access to a run in the garden and has never had fleas .Interestingly out of the 4 cats I have had the only to have had free outdoor access (semi feral) was never flea treated either.
    I have to wonder if environment plays a part as none of my dogs ever had fleas either.

Jen8971 likes this.
  4. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

Thank you both for this, we called our vet this morning to explain the situation and they recommended getting a prescription for Broadline but I totally agree with what was said above - don't want to give him drugs that he doesn't need especially if it would need repeated (I'm a pharmacist and that's certainly my view with humans!!).

Is there any risk with worms or is that also animal to animal transmission?

5. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

Stay on the forum. We need expertise like yours!
    I don’t think you need worming treatment either as long as you are in careful control of the diet. You aren’t feeding dry food are you?

6. Pinto

Pinto PetForums Senior

My cats are indoor with access to cat run, I reluctantly use a spot on flea treatment Advocate when my sister brings her dogs to my place. She tells me they are flea free, she never fleas her dogs even though they go to a dog park. It’s rather annoying the stuff is expensive which is why she won’t buy it. I have never needed a prescription from a vet for flea treatment better safe than sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice