Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Indian stick insect nymphs

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by Chloe Gadsby, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Chloe Gadsby

Chloe Gadsby PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Could anyone give me some advice? I recently received some stick insect nymphs from my friends who’s own insects are thriving! But since i put them in their tank, with a long branch of ivy, they are declined. Out of the 5, i have lost one, and 3 are currently declining/died (not sure yet as they’ve only just started showing signs of decline). Im at a loss as i’ve been going by the care plan given and dont know where im going wrong?

2. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

Hi Chloe
    Ivy isn't usually recommended for stick insects. Indian stick insects, like most stick insects, eat bramble leaves. I recommend you look at the Small -Life Supplies website because they tell you more about bramble and also give loads of advice on stick insect care. Also don't forget that the leaves need a light misting of water and the cut stems should be standing in water so that they don't dry out. Here is the link about the bramble food for stick insects :

https://www.small-life.co.uk/page8.html

Chloe Gadsby likes this.
  3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

What species of stick insects are they? I have a fair few species who will eat ivy, and it's a listed food for lots of species on the PSG website. Some wont readily take to it if they're not used to it though. If you only have nymphs, and no adults, they may also be struggling to make that initial bite into the tougher edge of the leaf. I know there are some posters in this section who feel it unnecessary to snip the edge of leaves but tbh, what will it hurt to do so? There is no harm from trying it, but potential harm from not doing so.

4. Chloe Gadsby

Indian, and i’ll give it a try and see if they’ll eat it!

5. Chloe Gadsby

Indian. And thank you, i’ll give it a try and see if they eat it

6. Chloe Gadsby

Thank you, i’ll look into it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice