Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

increasing obedience training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ragnar&Biffy, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

Before all this lockdown stuff.. biff just started senior obedience class. he was in it from about 8 months (hes now 19 months) think they bumped him up early as he was a collie and all the other younger dogs where causing him to get distracted quite a lot. hes a lot calmer around older dogs.

I have continued the stuff that he learnt but was only in it for about a month and that month was all about just letting him adjust and not overloading him we had lots of time outs during the training so i could just sit with him and relax before moving on.

However i want to step it up a notch now. As there is so many youtube videos and books about can anyone recommend the best ones?

I have watched some of denise fenzi ones (mentioned by @ShibaPup in another thread) as she seems amazing but i cant seem to find any consistent information. Also i would like to incorporate it into trick style stuff just well because i want to and me and biff really enjoy doing it....

the video of denise fenzi and dice in a unedited one seems to be the right direction in which i want to go.

especially things like the switch to heel then middle... see i dont even know if they are the correct terms :Sorry:Sorry..

oh just to add in im getting a little confused about using a toy for reward as in the video above... the reward always seems to be on display? i thought this wasn't meant to be the case...?

any help or guidance would be appreciated

#1 Ragnar&Biffy, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I've no idea which are the best ones or which are right for you. I have a ton of books. I like Brain Games by Claire Arrowsmith.

But by far my most expensive and best buy has been Susan Garrett's recallers course. In fact i have 2 of her courses

1. Wag nation which is really cheap at about 5quid per month (it varies depending on the exchange rate from USD. That is one trick to learn each month and is quite a nice fun one.

2. Recallers which is absolutely brilliant but mammoth! That is close is £400 for 13 months access but that is well worth it if you are ready to commit to a full year's intense training. Tbh, i dont think i will even get through half of it.

You get 40 games to be done in order, which lay the foundations of a strong recall but they also do so much more with regard to focus on you, attentiveness, impulse control.

There is stuff in there on reactivity, walking to heel, a few tricks, crate games.

A full course of conditioning the head halter. A full course on nail clipping. A full course on nuisance barking. In fact, there is so much in there i cant even remember most of it!

You get access to the forums (and i think you get better value if you are on Facebook too which im not) where you can submit videos for comments by susan's team. And the comments are excellent. They really do pick out exactly where you can tighten things up to get the best out of your dog.

And best of all it is fun! Really good fun!

Broken up over a year, the cost works out about 7quid each week and id say that is well worth it for what you get.

Step by step, you will definitely see results in your dog.

And - remember both cleo38 and i have put podcast threads in this section. The winter summit one that @Cleo38 posted up was amazing! Did you catch it?

If you work your way through each summit, you will learn a lot just by listening and it will give you a good idea of which trainers you like, which books to buy!

Ragnar&Biffy, Sarah H and JoanneF like this.
  3. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

No sorry I didn't catch the podcast will go and have a search for it.

And will definitely look into those especially as following one method will work better for different skills and tricks compared to lots of videos by different trainers. Thanks.

tabelmabel likes this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Denise fenzi runs online courses too and they are cheaper than susan garratt's (i believe they are anyway from reviews i have read) so that might be worth looking into if you like her training style

Ragnar&Biffy likes this.
  5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Ragnar&Biffy likes this.
  6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I would definitely recommend looking at some of the courses on the Fenzi Academy - Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - Log In

I've done a few & they are fantastic. You can choose what type of enrolment you want: gold, silver, bronze. Gold would be limited handler places & you load videos & have personal critiques, etc then the lesser levels mean less personal help & access to the tutor but more following the course content & learning from watching the other students.

I've only done bronze but even that level was right for me as there are FB groups where you can still ask questions, load videos, etc. I really enjoyed them & learnt alot. Am currently doing a shaping/luring for competitions with Shade Whitesel which is really good & has helped me brush up my shaping skills.

Also Kamal Fernandez is also doing some online courses (I've also completed a couple of these (as I have a new puppy who is pretty challenging!!). He's great as creating focus, engagement & play with dogs as well as more technical aspects of competitive obedience - Home of Kamal | Kamal Fernandez Online Dog Training (kamalfernandezonlinetraining.com)

Donna Hill is also great for teaching tricks & more technical stuff (she also runs courses at the Fenzi Academy) - Using a Nose Target to Teach 15 Tricks! For Freestyle, Therapy Dogs and Fun! - YouTube

Forrest Micke at Leerburg is also great for teaching engagement & completive heelwork Leerburg University | Forrest Micke

And as @tabelmabel advises, Susan Garret is amazing!

It depends on what you want to do .... there is so much great stuff out there atm.

As for the video in which you've posted you can use whatever cues you want, as long as you are consistent. For example mine are "close" for heelwork, "heel" for sitting at heel looking at me, "side" for looking to the side, "go" to move forward to the reward .....just make sure they are not too similar.

Also DF is training with the toy out as she does alot of work with Dice & arousal. This is a higher level so not to start with, there are many stages before Dice was able to work with a toy in view. As she is training for Mondioring (ring sport) the dog has to be in drive yet performing obedience exercises in many scenarios where he is very aroused & there are multiple distractions around.

#6 Cleo38, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Thanks for these @Cleo38. I must admit i would never have thought of online training had it not been for lockdown but im surprised how effective it can be. I might sign up for something else once my susan garratt stuff runs out. Susan's one has been fantastic for clear explanations. She really focuses on the mechanics and is so good at explaining why she positions her hand a certain way, why she delivers a treat from a certain angle etc.

And she makes it simple for the novice. It isnt her just showing off with her own dogs. She uses many dogs and handlers to show that any dog can achieve.

She is such a good teacher

Ragnar&Biffy and Cleo38 like this.
  8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Yes, that's exactly it .... small details but they are so very important!!! I had a training session with a friend yesterday & we videoed each other then watched back & discussed the sessions. at times when you are 'in the moment' you can miss certain things that may be so relevant & impacting our training

#8 Cleo38, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Ragnar&Biffy and tabelmabel like this.
  9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

If it's trick training then the best UK based trainers are Richard Curtis and Mary Ray. If it's competitive obedience type training then the best UK based trainers offering online training are Kamal Fernadez, Jo Hill (Powerpaws) and Di Martin. They all have websites or Facebook pages.

Ragnar&Biffy likes this.
  10. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

many thanks for all these, currently at work so will have a proper read through later. Thanks!

11. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

Sorry for taking long to reply properly, really appreciate your time with the comments and names suggested. i have looked at quite a few of them and have initially gone for the denise fenzi ones... some of the others seem a little out of budget currently especially what i need it for, so have bought a webinar one from there and now just purchased the engagement one FE140 50 dollars so works out at £35 thought id better start at the bottom and work my way up... i am really enjoying it (even only after a few days) and i love the short video clips and she is very self critical and what to do if things dont go to plan. so again thank you.

#11 Ragnar&Biffy, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Sarah H, Twiggy, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Sounds a great price and a great trainer too! Good luck, let us know how it goes and whether you'd recommend to others. I might give it a go myself at some point.

13. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

Yeah seems good so far a lot of it is working towards sports dog so i feel people do need a basic understanding of dog behaviour otherwise could go the wrong way but like i said im just looking at more of the pet dog style about engagement and focus but she explains everything very well. The one im doing now is all about engagement and its practically 6 weeks long based on lectures and how you progress through and how your dog takes to the training, but essentially spending 6 weeks building up engagement between you are your dog especially high energy dogs.

On each course you look at on the website they give you a free sample lecture with videos as well so you can see exactly the way its done and how its explained before you purchase. Ill let you know in 6 weeks :):)

Sarah H likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice