Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Incontinent pet please help?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LilyOK, Feb 6, 2018.

1. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

Lily is a Bichon Frise and this summer will be 10 and she is becoming incontinent! Has been progressively for the past year. It’s breaking my heart. She’s miserable and I can’t stand the workload anymore. I’m fed up scrubbing floors and neutralizing the smell. Her quality of life isn’t as good. She’s not allowed do things she once did. No on beds or laps or bedrooms. I’ve had to change her bed to a plastic one and she’s used to all the creature comforts so she’s not happy. She’s on regular daily medication that isn’t really working. The vet is useless.

A dog lover I know has said I should consider euthanasia for lily.

What would you do? How do I manage her?

2. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

My Loki has incontinence and would never put him down as its not his time, we will know that but its personal choice, his is 12 and his kidneys are starting to fail, he is happy and healthy, have you had tests for the kidneys. There is dog nappies you can use to minimise the impact, there is also renal diets for dogs that help support healthy kidney function. If the dog is leaking constantly then you need to talk to the Vet or go to another vet for a 2nd opinion, you can also get vet beds which are used in surgeries which are comfortable and easy to use and clean, plus puppy pads. Its down to you, if you are not happy get a 2nd opinion

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

Thank you! I don’t want to lose her but it’s so hard for both of us.

Had all the tests done and her kidneys are fine.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

There are more than one type of medications as far as I am aware...if one does not work then surely you have the option of trying another.

Vet bedding is great and snuggly and keeps pets dry. Can use incontinence sheets underneath to make it easier to clean up too

Plus vet bedding washes well and dries quickly.

5. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

Thank you I think I’ll go back to vets and try the bedding.

This is so distressing for her and me.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Has she been tested for diabetes?

You can buy incontinence pants, which look a little like Pull Ups for children, but they're washable.

My Sister had them for her Yorkie when she became incontinent and she said they were fantastic.

What medication is your bitch on.

7. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

She is on propalin or Uralin twice a day and we have increased her dose. She literally soaks herself right down her legs and up her back. She drinks a lot too. No diabetes.

8. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

Have you tried incurin? I know some dogs respond to Incurin who don't respond to Propalin and vice versa. I've also heard of dogs who didn't respond to either doing well on herbal treatments, and one who was much better after changing to a totally grain-free diet. Ask for a second opinion if your current vet isn't offering any more help.

Burrowzig likes this.
  9. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

CD6B5124-F1F2-4F17-8737-BFFFE49CAD48.png Do any of you think she has this disease she has most symptoms listed here?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

Thank you all

11. CuddleMonster

Have you told the vet about the other symptoms or just the incontinence? She needs to be diagnosed by a vet, no one can give a diagnosis online. Book another appointment and tell them about her other symptoms.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

I agree. The vets queried Cushing disease but said the tests were inconclusive. I’ve honestly tried all, spent a fortune and gotten no where. I think the best advice is to go to a different vet for a second opinion.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. CuddleMonster

That sounds like your best bet - let us know how you get on

14. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

Thank you this is the first time I’ve ever used a forum. Appreciate all the advice. I’ll post the outcome.

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My incontinent bitch is on incurin as well as urilyn. I use vet bed on top of a waterproof padded bed so that when she has lapses the vet bed can be washed in the washing machine and the bed can be sponged down. She never gets wet as the urine soaks straight through the vet bed. Mine has a lot of other problems and if something else flares up it will often make her leak for a few days till I get her balanced again.

Lurcherlad and CuddleMonster like this.
  16. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

I’ll ask for the incurin also thank you. Making an appointment for another vet soon. Thank you

17. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I have a 4.5 year old dog who once or twice a month will wet her bed in her sleep. Originally she had a UTI but even after that was cured she still tended to leak during the night. She's been tested for everything possible and all the tests have proved negative. With her I'm convinced her wetting the bed is due to stress and having discussed it with my vet who's known her since she was 10 weeks old he agrees.

As a result she's given Relaxan Forte (not available in the UK) Kalm Aid is the UK equivalent. Cystopro (Protexin UK) tablets for bladder support plus C 11 Complex (not available in the UK) but anything high in Glucosamine will do. We also have an adaptil diffuser in the house. And as has been mentioned vet beds are a godsend because they dry within a matter of a couple of hours.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Extreme thirst and wetting can also be a symptom of problems with the Parathyroid so might be worth testing for that too.

A friend managed the weeing issue using waterproof covers, towels and bedding with lots of regular toilet breaks to empty the bladder, especially just before bed etc.

The vet bed wicks away the wet so will help keep her more comfortable if she wets until you can sort her out.

19. LilyOK

LilyOK PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your reply. I have lots of information now when I visit the vet.

Magyarmum likes this.
  20. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

What medication is she on? There is more then one type and if you have only tried one then one of the others may work better. Some are for hormone dependent urinary sphincter incompetence and work by replacing hormones Incurin is one of these types, there is also propalin syrup that works in a different way, and that is often very successful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice