Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Incontinent Grand Old Lady Cat ....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by horatiogroove, Nov 30, 2012.

1. horatiogroove

horatiogroove PetForums Newbie

Hello .... I am new to this forum and I joined because I need advice.

My beloved Taffy is 22 years old. She is in great health, has a shiny black coat, seems very happy, purrs a lot, is very loving. She has a healthy appetite, can swipe at the puppy when needed. Oh she is completely and utterly deaf but that doesnt seem to bother her. She demands milk every single morning and the vet told her that at 22 she can have what she likes so she has a little bowl before breakfast.

The ONLY problem with Taffy (besides dribbling a bit when she is being stroked and cuddled) is that she has become totally incontinent. By this I mean that she still vaguely knows that she either needs to go out or use her litter tray, but she rarely makes it these days, instead when she needs to go, it just falls out of her and she leaves a trail behind her which isnt great for anyone ......

She is mostly living in the kitchen where she has access to everything she needs including her litter tray. She hates going outside in the winter anyway.

So not really sure what to do. Any hints and suggestions would be much appreciated. We LOVE her, in fact, no, we ADORE her so please dont think that it puts us off her at all. Just want to know if there is anything we can do!

Thank you.
    Matt

2. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

Sorry I have no advice, I just wanted to say wow 22! Bless her.

I am sure everyone is going to demand lovely cat pics :D

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh gosh Matt what a difficult situation to have to deal with!
    I have seen people suggest a kind of nappy to deal with this situation but do not know if an older cat would tolerate it, or whether it would just add skin irritation into the mix.
    Would she eat a raw diet? that makes the poops really firm and solid, so they can just be easily picked up and disposed of. As for the wee, I think the only suggestion I could come up with would be to try and stand her in the litter tray a couple of times a day and massage her bladder firmly (vet can show you how) so that she is stimulated to wee there and then.
    With two 18 year olds myself I will be watching the replies with interest.

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Hi Matt and welcome!

Gosh 22! Some cats are amazingly resilient-my local vets were saying recently they have quite a few oldies like this as clients. My family had a cat that lived to the 24! Her quality of life was very good right up to the end.

Right, the dribbling when stroked is fairly normal behaviour. Is Taffy singly or doubly incontinent? If it's urinary only then it's wise to rule out a urinary tract infection which can cause this. You could drop-off a mid-flow urine sample to the vets to have it checked. You do need to keep an eye on kidney function at this age as well-a urine sample will test both-things can change quite quickly with oldies.

Hope it resolves soon for you!

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Two? Totally unfair! I've only one! :p ( A very attractive torby!)

6. Monika Marta

Monika Marta PetForums Member

If that is poo what she is leaving behind maybe it is because of milk? Some cats are lactose intolerant, which does not mean they don't adore milk! (same problem with some humans, e.g. myself :p )
    Kitten milk is horribly expensive, but maybe you can try lactofree milk? It tastes like milk, at least to me and does not have lactose in it. And can be bought in most supermarkets - it is more expensive than normal milk, but nothing outrageous.

7. horatiogroove

horatiogroove PetForums Newbie

thanks everyone for the quick replies. wow.
    Just to be clear - she is only singly incontinent from what I see - the Number Two variety - ie poop........

8. Monika Marta

Monika Marta PetForums Member

So in that case I would try Lactofree as lactose is causing runny problems for a lot adult mammals :)

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

If it's only this and it's runny I agree with MM about the milk being the most likely culprit. I'm just lucky with mine in that ( I only give a little every so often though) they don't appear to have an intolerance.

Even if you do find a residual incontinence ( not uncommon with some oldies, so be warned!) with switching it will be easier to deal with solid masses!

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Well I am jumping the gun a bit, their birthday is not until February.:D

11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh well then that is much easier to deal with, and others have given good suggestions about the milk. Have you tried her on the specific cat milks to see if she likes them? Or a bit of watered down plain yoghurt (the fermentation eats up the lactose, and the bacteria are good for her digestion)

12. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

You most certainly are!!:D *mock indignation*

My Elizabeth was 18 last August!

(Do let us know when the great day arrives!)

13. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Congrats on having an oldie:D we´d love to see pics. It´s a sort of payment we demand for our ever ready attention:)

14. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Oh how fabulous to have her in your life so long!

Can't wait to see pics of the beautiful old lady :D

15. Ayla

Ayla PetForums Member

Lucky you! It is a really old lady cat... : )

Same problem happens to my syster's dog. We made a kind of nappy... you have to replace it when it is wet, but is not a big deal. A veteterinarian could give you a good advise, you need to know why is happening that.
    But perhaps it is only because due to the age her bladder has lost muscular tone, that is what our vet said about my syster's dog. If that is the case, the nappy is the only thing you can do... (if the old lady cat accept, of course!)

16. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I would try cat milk and yogurt for a few days to see if there are changes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice