Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Incontinence?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jayneheppy, Jun 28, 2009.

1. jayneheppy

jayneheppy PetForums Newbie

Hello, this is my first post here. I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

We have a 13 year old bitch, Kim, as well as 2 younger dogs. Unfortunately in the last month or so, Kim has developed an incontinence problem. She likes to lie on our sofa and we noticed wet patches, at first we thought she'd been licking it but it gradually got worse. Luckily our sofa is old and we just scrubbed it with disinfectant. Over the next few weeks the problem got worse and we've now covered our furniture in thick plastic sheeting and put towels over the top.

The last day or so, instead of just being slightly damp, it seems like its a full blown wee.. shes also done it while lying on the floor and sprinkling as shes walking around. Its not so bad when shes lying on a towel which soaks it up, but when shes lying on the wooden floor she jumps up in suprise that shes lying in a puddle. Shes always been a very clean dog and is trying to clean herself up.

We can cope with the cleaning and washing, its not really a problem, and shes absolutely fine in all other ways. Shes definitely top dog and keeps her younger sisters in check.

I think we need to get her checked out by the vet - does anyone know if theres any medication that may help?

Sorry for the essay and thanks in advance if anyone has any advice.

Jx

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Yes there is medication they can have dont know what the name is i know someone whos collie has the same problem from just a dribble to full blown wee's very quickly the meds have stopped it altogether.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

There is propalin and urilin that both help with urinary incontinence in bitches. These are liquid based ones. There is also a tablet, but i cant for the life of me remember the name.

Ive used both propalin and urilin (pretty much the same thing) with great success in my male dog, and ive heard from a few people that i know, that they have also worked well in their bitches. Its a very common problem.

Its worthwhile to have a urine and bloodtest done, considering your dogs age, just to rule out more serious problems.

4. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

A visit to the vet to rule out a urine infection is a good idea, many dogs get incontient gradually as they get older, but this sound fairly sudden. Does she continue to have regular seasons at her age, as i know my one bitch, whist having a season over a year ago, i woke up to find the duvet wet and i mean soaked in one place as she had wee'd and not realised, we put it down to her season and it as never happened again.

let us know how you get on with her:)

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It can happen with spayed bitches and there is treatment that can be given. Definitely go to the vet as it should be treatable and may be an infection. I hope it clears up, I had a bitch that did this for the last few months of her life and both she and the house got a bit smelly in spite of treatment!

6. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

It certainly does sound like estrogen-responsive urinary incontinence that can happen to any spayed female. It can be treated with propalin given 2-3 x daily or estrogen which is given 1-2 times per week. However, in many countries the estrogen tablets are no longer available.

We always do a urinalysis first to make sure there is not another issue going on. If there is something that is causing your girl to produce more urine (such as a kidney disease or cushing's disease) then this could make the incontinence issue appear all of a sudden.

Hope she does well!
    Dr. Marie.
    Need help now? Ask Dr. Marie.

7. jayneheppy

jayneheppy PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies. She has been spayed, many years ago. We're going to get her booked in with the vets this week and see what she thinks. I'll let you know what she says.

Thanks again x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice