Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Incontinence

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tamaralynne, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Tamaralynne

Tamaralynne PetForums Newbie

I have a 1 year old dog who is very fit and active, he is completely house trained and he goes to the toilet with no pain or struggling, however when he is asleep he occasionally dribbles drops of urine (2 or 3 drops) and I have noticed the occasional damp patch where he has been sleeping, it's not all the time but quite often, is this a common issue, he has been neutered.

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I would ask your vet that will set your mind at rest

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Tamaralynne

#3 Tamaralynne, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. Tamaralynne

Yeah I will I'm just seeking some advice from other people who's dogs may do the same thing because that will also put mind at rest too, thank you

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It maybe an idea to pop him to the vet, taking with you if you can a fresh urine sample, they can then test it and rule out things like infection and any abnormalities in his pee that may be causing it. Although females seem to pick up urinary tract infection more then males, it is possible for males too, and it may explain why its happening if there is some kind of UTI. If it is usually that's quick and easy to treat with antibiotics and often something like metacam is given too to help with any inflammation that is often present.

Only other thoughts, there is a condition often seen a lot more in spayed females then males, called urinary sphincter incompetence, it is seen quite a lot in females and not nearly so often in males but it is possible for them to develop it too. What happens is the sphinchter or muscle that holds the urine in the bladder until they go to the toilet and its emptied, should act like a water tight seal, something can happen sometimes so that the sphincter or muscle becomes lax and not quite so efficient, so urine will leak out.
    It usually happens more when they are asleep or resting. There can be various causes why it happens, but in some females and it seems males too the problem can be sex hormone linked.

It wont hurt to just get him checked over and examined and a urine sample tested, it depends of course how bad and how regular its happening. With urinary sphincter incompetence there is medications that can help solve the problem, but these are usually veterinary only, but are normally very efficient at stopping it should it be the problem and it becomes too bad.

6. Tamaralynne

Thank you for your advice, I will book him in for next week, I'm hoping it's nothing bad as he is fit and active with no other symptoms other than the leaking while sleeping or resting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice