Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Incontinence in young dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JSR, Jul 15, 2009.

1. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Got vet booked for saturday but thought I'd try you knowledgable people too!! ;)

Sumo my 2 year old JRT has been showing signs of slight incontinence. It's at night when he's asleep he seems to leak slightly. It's nothing over dramatic but obviously being young it's a worry. He was castrated in Dec just after I adopted him, he was a puppy farm ex-stud dog and had been used god knows how many times to breed from so I do wander if this effected him?

He's fine in the day time as far as I can see, he has access to the garden at all times and wee's normally while out on walks etc. He's still not 100% house trained but from a dog that's lived his life in a cage I don't expect him to be house trained completely.

Anyone got any experience of this?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

YES!!

Oscar started leaking when he was 2/3. My vet thought it may have been due to damage when he was run over as a pup. He's been on propalin for years, and touch wood, he hasnt leaked once. It would mainly happen when he was in deep sleep, and he leaked a HUGE amount.

I had him urine and bloodtested, plus an x-ray and ultrasound just to rule out anything more serious.

He has suffered no ill effacts from having been on the propalin (which in theory shouldnt really work on a male dog) although side effects such as hyper activity and aggression have been reported. However, thats in bitches, dogs may be different.

JSR likes this.
  3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:D See i knew someone would know!!!! Not knowing a great deal of his history except being a stud and having worked at some point there is a good chance he's taken a kicking from the lovely man that worked him. :mad:

4. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Just wanted to update! Vet put him on propalin and after 3 days we've had no more leaks!! Strangely enough he's also stopped weeing in the house, although he was pretty much housetrained he doesn't like going outside when it's raining (big rough tough JRT for you!!) but since he's been on the propalin he seems to have got house training too!!! Maybe a coincidence but either way I'm happy!!:D

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats great news!

Oscar has had great success being on it. We havent had a leak for years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice