Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Inconsistent wild freedom kitten wet food??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Gosza, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Gosza

Gosza PetForums Junior

Hi,
    I’ve ordered second batch of kitten’s wet wild freedom food from zooplus, I went for one flavour only as my kitten had some problems with loose poop. When I was still using first batch I’ve ordered poop for firming up nicely and it was less frequent. Now new batch arrived and when I opened first two tins colour of food was a bit different (same flavour -chicken&rabbit) , it smelled fine and he ate it happily but today again poop was loose and he pooped more frequently as well being quite smelly again, he started to fart quite a lot too again...
    does anyone has any experience and explanation of why this food look different? Could it affect my kitten’s poop? Is it something that just needs to pass, something he’s getting used to?
    This never ending saga of Woland’s poop is getting frustrating, I went for wild freedom because it seemed good food and it is reasonably priced now I’m not sure if the quality is as good as I thought and if it will be different anytime I’m ordering what’s the point then?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Generally speaking, commercial pet food products are like that, inconsistent, because the source of their ingredients will change from batch to batch, depending on lowest bidder, for example.

Your best defense is to gradually, slowly, add in other foods so the cat can tolerate a wider variety of products. using a probiotic can help his tummy cope as you do this.

Calvine likes this.
  3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I'm sure that does happen - I've opened something that they all normally wolf down and a couple of weeks later start a new batch and not one will even look at it.

lorilu likes this.
  4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

0-

Less likely in my vie with single protein foods - chickens are chickens. I'll make an exception for kangaroo as there are several species, ditto venison.

5. Gosza

Gosza PetForums Junior

Thanks all for replies! I thought to stick to one food until he settles but seeing now that even one food may differ I think I might as well starting to introducing something new sooner than I thought. I’m planning on going raw with Luna&me, hopefully he will be keen on it.

@lorilu he was taking probiotics earlier, got it from the vet, it was pro-kolin, do you reckon I should continue with that (if I can get one online) or would you recommend something else? Or ask the vet? Thanks!

lorilu likes this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

There is more in pet food than a single protein. As for chicken (or other protein)s there is chicken, and then there is...what they put in pet food. Again, there is a very big difference between what you put on your table and what goes into pet food.

Even "for humans" chicken varies. I buy only certified organic non-GMO Project Verified chicken for myself and my cats. There is a big difference in flavor in the brands available to me, and Mazy cat also can tell the difference. Neither of us really like the Circle Ranch brand for example but sometimes it's all I can get. Farmers Focus is much tastier.

Queen Eva doesn't seem to mind which brand is used, but she has a wider variety in her diet than Mazy cat.

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would continue with the probiotic for life. I use a for-humans brand but am in the US so can't advise on brands. I have seen Bioglan recommended for UK in the Raw Feeding for IBD group.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice