Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Income Tax and NI

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Jul 22, 2009.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Do you pay NI and Income Tax if you are a full time student? I do a full 40 hours, and go to uni and I was wondering if I was supposed to pay tax because I thought that if you were a student you didn't. I'm on £11,000 a year but with tax I only get about £9,500.... I want my other money back :D!

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hmm not sure but it would make sense that you do!

3. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

I dont pay tax :) i think i pay NI but i dont pay alot..

when i work 4 days a week for a month plus 1 training evening i got paid £600 which is alot of money to a student haha :)

4. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Income Tax is not about being a student but how much you earn during the year - we all have a set amount of earnings for the year on which we don't pay Income tax (about £6500 for people under 65) - so we dont pay income tax when we earn less than that amount - but we pay on any earnings above that.
    Most student earn less than £6500 per year (part-time job) - hence the confusion ;)
    so yes in your case you should pay income tax.

As for NI - its based on how much you earn - i think its set at £110 a week at the moment so if you earn less than £110 a week you dont pay NI (but then that means you cannot get JSA contribution based etc) - so in your case again yes you have to pay NI ;)

xx

#4 Oblada, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
  5. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Any by the way - the only way to get Income Tax money back is when you work for some time at a rate you are not going to continue throughout the year - so for instance you do some full-time job for 3 months during the summer but then the rest of the year you dont work or do part-time - the Income Tax calculated for the summer job would have considered your earnings based on the assumption that you would continue with that type of earnings all through the year (say based on year earnings of £)12000- if you dont (and only earn £6000 or £7000 during the year in actual facts) then you have paid too much income tax and you should get it back!

simples! ;)
    xx

6. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

Income tax is based on the income you make regardless whether you are a student or not.

7. Look like by the figures you have provided that you definately fall into both the Tax & NI brackets! NI is NEVER refunded! The only way you will ever get any of you tax back is if you cease to have any income in the relevant tax year! A portion of any tax paid that then consitutes an over payment will be refunded! TBH you are very lucky to have such an hih income being a student!!! Well done you!
    regards
    DT

8. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I'm only in uni 6 hours a week, so i have the time to work a full time job, which means more money for me :D I was hoping that I didn't have to pay because all my friends are like.... we don't pay tax and insurance, but as you all say, that might be because they are working part time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice