Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Inactive fulicas?

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Sprinkle, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Sprinkle

Sprinkle PetForums Junior

Hoi there, since I first I got my a. fulica they have been inactive. I know its winter time now here in the UK, but it worries me a lot. I expected they’re gonna be active, crawling around the tank and eating. I had to move them today and mist them with water, then they started crawling around eating. This night they have not moved around at all, they don’t hide in their shells at all, half of their body is out. I touch them, they don’t hide completely. Its like they can’t or summat.
    They stay in one place, barely moving. They’ll move their googly eyes and that all.
    There is barely 2cm of substrate, like I got them. They seem to try and bury themselves, but end up burying only 1/2 of their body lenght. Maybe there is something wrong with them?
    I’ve a heat mat on side of the tank, misted them couple of times today, set them thermostat to 25 C. Their substrate is damp, almost wet. First day when I got them, they were rasping on their cuttlefish bone. Haven’t seen them rasping on it ever since.

Something wrong with them? What should I do?

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

The first thing I notice is you said there is barely 2cm of substrate. Snails need the substrate to be at the very least deeper than the snails shell is long. How big are your snails?

If the conditions you are providing are not the same as where they've come from, they will take a few weeks to adjust. Can you provide photos of the snails and your set up?

Edited to add that fulica are probably one of the most sensitive, and least hardy of the GALS species. Any changes to their substrate, temperature or humidity and they'll let you know they're not happy.

#2 Leanne77, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Sprinkle likes this.
  3. Sprinkle

Yes, barely 2cm of substrate. They came to me like that and I can’t get any substrate for now. Gonna look for cheap one, coco coir. For reptiles so no nasties.
    Right, I forgot to mention. Actually, noticed that just today, they’ll come out a little bit for short time when I’ll mist them with water. And no holes in tank lid.
    Did a hill of substrate so they can bury, they didn’t lol.
    In the last photos, I misted them and both came out and showed me their googly eyes.
    (had to edit because of my clumsy fingers)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Right, lots you can do to improve that set up, it's very sparse. More coir is definitely needed, at least a third of the way up that tank. Sphagnum moss will add interest and help keep humidity up. The addition of a plastic plant pot will give the snail somewhere to hide, and a couple of fake plants will make it look nicer. You can add leaf litter, lichen sticks etc which are natural enrichment.

I daresay the fact your tank is glass doesnt help as it doesnt hold heat that well, and the larger your tank, the more difficult it is to heat. Me personally, I'd go for a smaller, plastic tub. The downside to those are you cant see the snails so well. Insulating that heat mat will also help. I use radiator foil.

Second photo are my large ovums to give you an idea on set ups. First photo is how I insulate the heat mat. In winter I insulate the whole way round the enclosure with the same stuff. 20201209_131547.jpg 20201209_131525.jpg

Sprinkle likes this.
  5. Sprinkle

Nice snail tank :) I will do as you as you say, but I won’t be able to get rid of that tank at all unfortunately. So how would I be able to insulate the tank?

6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

You can use bubble wrap but I use the radiator thermal foam stuff on a roll, with the foil side facing inwards. This reflects the heat back inside the enclosure.

Sprinkle likes this.
  7. Sprinkle

Yea. I’ve heard about it. I will get it 100% :)
    I saw my yellow shelled snail being bit more active than brown shelled snail which is surprising. To make them active, I move and spray them which makes them move around for a long period of time. Would this possibly make them feel more comfortable in their tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice