Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

In season bitches and neutered dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Amelia66, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

I really did hope this would wait until next year/after Christmas but no. Our toy poodle is in season, im not sure if shes in the second of third week as she was pestering me to go out and pee constantly a week before and i just thought shes was being a PITA lol. She also has a funky smell for that week [anyone who has had a in season bitch would know the weird smell they get] but i only started seeing blood at the start of the week. Could she have been just keeping herself really clean for the first week or so? i only see the blood now on the pillow she sleeps on and that was the only thing that put 2 and 2 together. Is there any way to know where she is in her season?

Anyway its turning out to be quite stressful for me due to Christmas and visiting family. We are staying with OHs parents who have two neutered dogs one male and one female, I'm wondering if its best to keep them totally separate? Does any one allow supervised interaction with neutered males? or does it depend on the dog? We cant take her with us on xmas day as my sister has a un neutered male dog and I'm wondering if its best to leave her at my OHs parents with their dogs [separate or otherwise] or take her to and leave her at my mums where she will be free of any other dogs but on her own. I cant leave her at home as its 2 hours away and i really dont want to leave her with someone I dont know/trust.

2. speug

speug PetForums VIP

it depends on the neutered male. Some will ignore in season bitches and some will try to hump. Supervised interaction should usually be ok and will give you a chance to see how he reacts to her.

Amelia66 likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Good luck with it. It does not sound like the best recipe for a calm Christmas. Fingers crossed the dogs are not too bothered by her, some are and some are not. If one of them turns out to be over interested then they can actually mate (obviously no pups) so you are going to have to keep them separate. You are also all going to smell of in season bitch so there is every chance that your sister's dog will be a bit out of sorts too. Are you going to get her spayed in 3 months time.

One of my standard poodles came in season at a really awkward time when we were away to a family funeral and even without other dogs around it was a pain. My poor sister thought she had had a bad nosebleed when she woke up to a blood covered pillow but it was my dog - not a nice surprise.

Amelia66 likes this.
  4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Just be aware that a season can cause issues between 2 females, it may not just be the male you need to worry about. Have the dogs met before? As to whether the male will be bothered, totally depends on the male. I've had an intact male who never seemed to notice in season bitches and a neutered one who'd have done the deed given half a chance.

5. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

My dog is very clean and she's probably been in season for a couple of days when I first notice some blood, but I always count from the first day I see blood just to be on the safe side. Then I know for sure that she's in season and don't have to speculate when it started and when it stopped.

I had a neutered male for the first two years of my bitches life and that wasn't a problem. He ignored her for most of her season, even though she was (is) a right slut and wouldn't leave him alone. For his sake I kept them separated when I couldn't supervise them and tell her to leave him alone. Only for three days during her season was he interested in her and then he would mount her. Since it was stressful for him and I believe that it might also increase the risk of false pregnancy I didn't let them do that and I kept them apart.

But I think it depends on the dogs. Some neutered dogs are just as interested in bitches in season as non-neutered dogs while others doesn't seem to know what a bitch in season is. I would just see what happens and take actions accordingly.

Wiz201 and Amelia66 like this.
  6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I agree with the above posts ...you'll need to keep her supervised ....we mix in season girls with neutered boys no problem but you'll need to see how it goes.

Maybe try Johnsons Bitch Spray to cover the hormonal scent or a little Vicks under the tail works, too!

J

Amelia66 likes this.
  7. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Really depends on the dog, Cian showed no interest in KT either season, Eric at 10 months tormented my Mums girl a week or so before her season, it can still have the same effect on neutered males and entire, so you could possibly get the same reaction as in crying, whinging trying anything to get to her or they could completely ignore, what days will she be on during the stay? In season bitches could also cause issues between dogs either entire or neutered who have lived happily together.

Amelia66 likes this.
  8. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Sorry I would not allow an in season bitch in my house. My males would not cope with it. I would think a hormonal bitch would be better in her own home too.If I had an in season bitch I would feel awful in case she left a mess in my hosts home too. That slight smell is actually very strong and bitch sprays etc just make it worst in my exoerience.
    What a nuisance though hope you can make suitable arrangements to keep your girl happy.

#8 northnsouth, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    Amelia66 likes this.
  9. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Really depends on the dog. Blade although neutered went mad for Shelby when she was in season and had to be kept separate unless very closely supervised.

Plus , although a dog may be neutered... they can still tie which is extremely dangerous.
    In season bitches can also cause distress to other bitches

Amelia66 likes this.
  10. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

I will stress they wont be left alone regardless of how he reacts to her as i know they could still mate even tho hes neutered and thats not something i want under any circumstance.

The dogs have all met before, in fact we used to live with them. They come as a pair so if either has a issue with her they will both be kept separate, and the female is pretty grumpy with her at the best of time [excitable puppies are not her thing] so i didn't think they maybe she would take issue with it too.

Its awkward because we are there for 3 nights, if it had been any other time of year we would have left her at home and just driven home after. I think i might just leave them at my mums Christmas day because although they will be alone they will be able to be free and the other dogs will get a break.

I will be glad when Christmas is over and we an go back home :Arghh

Blitz likes this.
  11. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Oh the joys of bitches xx

Amelia66 likes this.
  12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I have a neutered male who drools and chatters around bitches in heat. I’ve also known neutered males to mount and tie with in-heat females. It really just depends on the dog.
    Also a good point that the other bitches in the house may not take kindly to a bitch in heat coming in.

Good luck, just be cautious, and I hope it all works out :)

Amelia66 likes this.
  13. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

i'm dreading cherokee coming into season cos i'm not sure how opie will react even though he is neutered :( if necessary i'll have to make sure they are kept in separate rooms, and her crate put in my locked bedroom if i have to go out.

Amelia66 likes this.
  14. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Makes me glad we have two girls as most of the time its not a issue.

15. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Just a update for any others that may have been in this situation.

It went fine despite me being stressed the whole time. At OHs parents dog were allowed together but we kept Noodle on lead so she was in my sight at all times and couldn't be with the other dogs unsupervised. I think this also kept her a bit calmer as she couldn't climb all over people. Christmas day they stayed at my mums alone, when we left they were making really sad whines and i felt awful. When we came back to get them tho they were silent and had been sleeping so we were forgiven quickly. Since possibly Christmas even there has been no blood or discharge so I'm wondering if she may have finished already? She only bled for two weeks. We will still be taking precautions untill 4 weeks from the start just encase tho ..... luckily it looks like a small toy shop here so there is plenty to keep her entertained.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice