Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

In reflection: the fear of death

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tanya1989, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Sorry to get all morbid on everyone, but stemming from another thread, and the fact that death is all I think about at the minute, Does death frighten you?

Is it the thought of death being painful? The worry of those loved ones you've left behind? Thinking that you haven't made a big enough impact on the world? What is an impact on the world? etc etc

I don't worry about the act of death as such. I worry that I'll be forgotten, that I've not done enough on the planet yet to put a "stamp" on the world of my existence. I'm pretty sure my family and friends wouldn't forget me, but I am aware that although I will periodically pop into their mind, but eventually they would "move on".

So, what worries you, if anything? and what could I do to make an impact?

2. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

No death doesn't frighten me anymore.

The thought of reincarnation and coming back to do another life again does.

I'm not sure what my purpose has been and hope I find out before I go.

Sometimes you can make an impact on someones life by the tinniest of things and things which at the time you may have dismissed.

What impact have you made- think of the simple things:
    Did you make someone laugh? give them a kiss/hug and tell someone you love them.
    Have you cared for someone, help someone and listened when they needed an ear.

Have you wiped away a tear, mopped a fevered brow and done thoughtful gestures like giving someone a call or doing a surprise for them??

I could go on...

So hun sure you have made lots of impact :001_smile:

#2 Cockerpoo lover, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

You make a big impact on this forum
    Your website makes an impact and you publishing a book would make the biggest impact

I worry most about leaving people behind, about my beautiful dogs.

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

No not really. More it being slow and painful I'd prefer a quick death.

You've made a huge impact on this forum and helped so many people and their dogs. That book will help so many more

5. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Not scared of death itself more scared of how i will go or whats after.

6. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Yes it frightens the hell out of me. Particularly a natural death or death through cancer. For me those have been the worst to witness and they haunt me terribly. With each experience I can only describe it as a loss of innocence that I can never get back. More people should bear witness to the act of death I think because in day to day life we are so detached from it; in knowing death I think it helps to make you appreciate life, or at least it has done for me.

I'd quite like to blast my head off myself when it gets to the end to be honest, if I should have a choice. Quick and dirty. I don't want to take last gasps.

Just my own feelings.

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I don't agree with that. I've seen someone die and I never want to do it again no matter how relieved I was at the time for them.

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I don't consider these big impacts though, if that makes sense?
    Everyone does things like this.... I guess I feel that time is ticking and I haven't made a difference, or done anything that would leaving a lasting impression. Does that make sense, or have I drunk to much caffeine this late in the evening? ;)

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Tanya every dog you helped the owner bring into the world safely is a huge impact. It doesn't have to be something huge and world changing it meant the world to that person

10. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

You might not consider it a big impact but the person receiving it might have.

Say for e.g you had a chat to a stranger and had a giggle.

This could have been a lonely person who never has any interaction with people and is feeling left out etc.... but that one gesture made their day and made them feel special once again.

Honestly you would probably be amazed at what lasting impressions small things can do.

Making a difference and lasting impressions are down to the person/persons receiving them and there interpretations.

So don't worry hun you have made a difference :001_smile:

1 person likes this.
  11. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

But eventually, those people will forget. Although I did receive a text from Bellasmaid today, with a picture of Munchkin at 6 months old, which was nice, but in 30 years time the small impact will be forgotten....

I want to do something huge, like.... ummmm.... I dunno :confused:

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Does it matter if they do? Those animals owe you their lives that's a big impact. Very few people make world changing impacts but everybody has an impact on those they interact with and those impacts are as important as someone who helps starving children or signs peace treaties

13. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

If you ever watch those genealogy shows like Who Do You Think You Are, even surprisingly scandalous stuff ends up forgotten in a generation or two... I think it's just one of those things. Unless you're like Alexander the Great and conquer most of the known world before the age of 25 or something it's hard to get historically recognised.

14. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

I know what you mean Tanya I think! - I feel when I am gone I want to be remembered for doing something good - making a change in an area that needs it. I want bits of me to live on through work I have done, and stuff I have gained. I dont want to leave life not every achieving anything. I want to go feeling my life was worth living and I had made a difference to something.

But to answer your questions - YES I am scared of passing away very scared. Once your gone - your gone..what happens I do not know..and that scares me, not knowing what to expect. I am scared of lossing the rest of them closest to me..I am scared of being alone when I go, I am just scared and not ashamed to admit it - I dont like to think about it as I get a worked up and left feeling a horrid feeling!

15. babycham2002

Get your book published thatll be huge
    Itll be like where EVERYONE says you have to own book of the bitch but itll be your book :)

I think it must be a caffiene+age+late thing . I agree with cockerpoo lover that tiny things can make a huge impact in ordinary peoples lives.

But do you mean on like an einstein/shakespeare level, where your like name is known worldwide?

16. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I dunno... I guess it just matters to me. I think its probably different for everyone, I imagine some people would rather slip away and be forgotten.

I also worry about the initial impact my death will have on my family. Like people say, its not the dead you have to worry about, its the people they leave behind.

Does anyone believe in heaven? I was brought up as a Catholic, but I am more agnostic now. I'd like to think there was a place to go where all the dead meet up (a bit like a heaven version of Petforums ;) ) but being so science minded, I don't know if I can believe that there is such a place.

Its a comfort to think though, that maybe I'll meet up with passed friends, family and pets.

17. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Not necessarily einstein or shakespeare, but like someone who had a positive influence on people, not necessarily with talent, but something positive... like eradicating all puppy farms

18. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

But everyone is forgotten eventually even Einstein or Ghandi. Just might take a little longer. Civilizations fall and the people that made them are either forgotten or become legends. Even if you are forgotten within a few generations you'll have made a huge impact on the people who knew you and that matters.

I do and I'm a scientist but I like to think there's something else afterwards. Not sure about the pearly gates thing though. Just as long as they let pets in wouldn't be a heaven without them.

It's 1am how much sense this post makes is sort of debatable at this point

19. babycham2002

ah I get you. That would be a wonderful thing yes, but i still think what you have done so far amounts to a lot more than most

As you say in your previous post its what matters to you. Hmmm your making me start to think I wanna do something really big now :eek: Im starting to get it.

20. babycham2002

Dont get me started on heaven and the such like
    I am science driven, but i still sometimes whisper to my lost loved ones :eek: :blink: Just to let them know Im thinking of them.
    Why is it that i imagine they can see me when I am happy or doing something good, rather than when Im on the loo or picking spots or something else gross?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice