Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

In need of neutering advice.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by BeckyC, Aug 22, 2013.

1. BeckyC

BeckyC PetForums Member

So I went to the vets today to speak about Blue's teeth and whilst I was there they discussed with me about neutering my puppy Archie. He is approaching 7 months and I am keen to keep him entire until at least a year before I consider it, anyways he has only one descended testicle. The vet told me he wants to neuter him within the next month or so before he misses the window because if I don't then I will have to wait until he has reached his midteens as it would confuse his hormones to do it in between. Is that right? Like I said I want to wait but would this cause any issues with his undescended testicle?

I hope someone can help me stop worrying. :)

2. Buzzard

Buzzard PetForums VIP

Personally I think it is better to wait until the dog has finished growing. I heard that neutering early can cause them to remain immature longer. My vet said not to neuter Mac at the moment (14 months old) and to wait until 18 months to 2 years and see about it then if we want to.

Not a clue about the un decended testicle but I am sure someone will be along shortly who may have experienced this with their dog.

3. BeckyC

BeckyC PetForums Member

Thank you for the reply. :) As I said, I really want to wait till he has matured and grown fully so hopefully this will not be an issue.

4. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

Bailey had a testicle like that but it came out when he was about 9 mo.

5. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

my first boy only had a retained Testicle, did the vet say he could feel it at all? I waited until my boy was just over a year and had it done then.

There is a higher risk of a certain cancer with Cryptorchidism, but I would think that would be if you left them for years like it...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice