Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

In desperate need of some help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jayneylil, Jul 5, 2009.

1. jayneylil

jayneylil PetForums Newbie

Hello all....

I got my new kitten on friday, the first night she was ok... i let her loose around ym flat and she was fine

the second day however.. I put her in the kitchen as this is where her littler and food are going to be and where i was planning on having her whilst i am at work... i blocked off all visable gaps and holes and went out

I came home and she had managed to get herself behind the kitchen units so i broke a bigger hole for her to get out of, put some food and and waited...

Whilst i was waiting i did a lil research... the woman who sold her to me sid she is 7 weeks old... and from the research i did, this is way too young to be away from her mum.. she she probably be starting weaning around now.. not re homed.. but she also said she had put her on dry food.

She is understandably very timid and jumpy and noises and although she is very happy to be on me, sleeps on em etc, i am concerned about her being with me so young

SO here is my point, i am very worried about when i go out to work and also about her in general.. too much too soon if you konw what i mean. So this is what i have done... i have built her a pen, its about 5ft by 3 ft, put her litter tray and food in there and it is my intention to keep her in there when i am out of the house.I just want her to be safe and feel secure. She has some place dark there too too sleep. Do you think this is ok? I am handling her alot and she is play queit contently, eating well and is fine with the litter tray...

I am just so worried about her age and her size, and i dont want her to become a very scared kitten

BTW she came out of the kitchen units after about 4 hours and feel asleep on my right away like nothign had happened...

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Your pen sounds fine for now. At this age she will sleep a lot while you are out too. As long as you continue to play with her and give her lots of fuss when you are home she should be fine.
    I would perhaps put a cuddly toy in her bed for her to snuggle up to as she will still be missing her mum and litter mates as she is so young. But don't worry too much. It was quite normal for kittens to leave home at 6 or 8 weeks many years ago.
    Good luck with her and I hope you have no more disappearing behind kitchen units :eek:

3. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

Hi Janey welcome to the forum, you are right to be concerned as IMO it is a little early to have left mom but as Lyn stated this was common a few years ago, but as long as the kitten is eating and drinking ok and using its litter tray then she should be fine, It will take her a few days to get used to not having her litter mates or mom there but she will soon settle and will soon gain her confidence and be running around like shes always been there.Lots of toys will help , things like ping pong balls which are light they can hit them around her pen and chase them and a nice warm woolen blanket for her to cuddle into as cats love wool, Im sure in a few days you will be posting on here saying how well she is and she has settled in so well, good luck with her................CHRIS

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya kittens are normally weaned about 5 weeks, I got my tay at 7 weeks & his fine.

although they normally prefer wet meat until later on and try biccis at about 10 weeks!

Keep her in one room only a entire flat to too big for a kitten for the first 2/3weeks litter tray one corner, food another etc get her used to daily noises, althoguh the breeder should have dont this :rolleyes:

play with him and dont pick him up alot let him come to you! after 6 odd weeks he should be fully settled and your forget all aboit this! :D

5. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Could you not get her a friend? She is obviously scared and missing her mum & litter mates ... as you will be going back to work soon I'm sure she would appreciate the company!

6. Apollo

Apollo PetForums Junior

There isn't much that I can say as everyone else has said it. The woman who sold you the kitten, gave her away too young. (that as much is what you yourself found out) and that isn't very good but I think maybe you could remedy that? Perhaps, take her to the vets and ask for advice.

As for hidding behind appliances, yes...mine did that too...although when we got him he was four months. He went underneath the oven then came out eventually. 'twas my sister's fault for allowing him to go around the whole house. When it's recommended that you keep them in one room until they get used to that environment.

I understand that you don't want your kitten to grow up timid and I agree that it isn't a good thing. However, you also need to take note that each cat (like people) have their own unique personalities. Were there are, per say ''flaws'' such as being very timid you can remedy that by spending some quality time with her for about fifteen minutes and build it up slowly.

I hope your little kitten (and you yourself) are handling events easier.:)

7. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

It seems to be quite common for moggie kittens to be sold at 7/8 weeks old. Some on here have gone even earlier. It is a bit too young, and at 7 weeks old they will be weaned, but will also still be suckling from Mum for comfort. You can get soft toys that have a heart beat, comfort for young puppies and kittens Buy Comfort Pals Kitten Toys you could try one of those for the times that you are not with her. When you are with her, plenty of interaction and cuddles as you are doing will help build her confidence.

8. jayneylil

jayneylil PetForums Newbie

Thank you all so much.. i was so worried this morning but things seemed to of settled...

She didnt like the pen.. she didnt settle and she looked very twitchy

SO i sorted out the kitchen.. blocked every thing off i could see and then came in here with her for a good two hours and continued to block everywhere else off she attempted to get stuck..

She eventually settle in the gap between the wall and my back! so later on i left her in here alone and she was quite happy.. had a little nap and when i came in was playing with her toys..

NOW I decided before checking back here to let her out into the front room again.... to which is instantly hid.. so after reading the post i found her and brought her back into the kitchen.. then she started playing again and trying to crawl up the inside of my jean leg!

Thank you all so much, and if you can antispact the mistakes im gong to make again please do! I have had 3 cats before but never this young!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice