Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

In Desperate Need of Help!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by dchow, Jul 31, 2009.

1. dchow

dchow PetForums Newbie

My family and I got our first puppy in January. He's a Lhasa Apso and about to turn 9 months old in August.

When we first got him he had a little trouble sleeping at night but it went away within a day or two. He hasn't really had trouble sleeping since. But all of a sudden he stops sleeping at night, completely. He usually sleeps in a fenced off area but now he'll start whining then progress to uncontrollable barking.

My family and I are really tired and frustrated. We've followed pretty much the same routine for months now and he's been getting more exercise incase he has too much pent up energy but nothing seems to be working.

Could this be because of the recent heatwave we've been experience? Does anyone know how to get him to sleep at night?!?

I'm in desperate need of help, please!!

2. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I've got 3 lhasa's and they all sleep in the kitchen with a baby gate in the doorway. The kitchen runs the full length of the house so they have plenty of room.

The only time I've had trouble was when the bitch was on heat and she went to stay with my OH. The youngest whined through the night, not that loud but loud enough for me to notice that he was awake. At first, I couldn't make out why he'd started whining and thought that maybe he hadn't done everything he wanted to when out for his loo call, so I came down and let him out again but he just sat by the door looking at me, didn't even go out. He was a bit louder when I went back to bed so knowing that he didn't need to go out, I ignored him.
    Next night he did a couple of little whines but then was quiet and went to sleep. The following night not a peep. I believe he was pining for the bitch as he knew she was in season because her smell would have been on our clothes and on my OH when he visited.

It could be something as simple as a dog nearby being in season... you'd be surprised how far that scent will travel ;) Could also be something like a cat in the garden that he can hear. If you've checked on him and he's fine then maybe you should just ignore it. Giving in to 'just a whine' could mean you end up having sleepless nights for a long time.:eek:hmy:

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

A fenced off area? Does this mean he is outside?

4. dchow

dchow PetForums Newbie

He doesn't sleep outside. By fenced off I mean, hm... I'm not too sure what the name is, but its like a rectangular wired fence that we put inside our kitchen. He usually sleeps in there with some of his favorites toys, one of our old shirts, food+water, and a doggy training pad.

I'll try ignoring him when he barks tonight. I've tried it before but he got really loud and it went on for such a long time I had to bring him out. I know this is cultivating some really bad habits but I'm pretty worried about annoying my neighbours.

I'm so confused and frustrated right now. Hopefully it's because of the weather, or a female dog in heat nearby. I've noticed he's barking more compared to usual, at any random noise when he'd ignore it before.

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

If you believe it is because of the scent of a bitch, then why not get him neutered? At least you can rule this out.

Is he quite a needy dog, in that he is not often left on his own and follows you around?

Don't get disheartened, it will get better. You just need to establish the reason for it and then look at working on that area. Usually a problem like this is a sympton of something else. Once you find out what that is, then you can work on it. It could be as simple as you have given in to him a couple of times, therefore he is pushing his luck.

x

6. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Thats a bit drastic is it not?? Get the dog neutered just to see if thats whats making him restless at night??

7. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Most people neuter their dogs anyway. If this is the problem and it is causing the dog to be "restless" and keeping the OP and family awake, then this is a small price to pay.

Just giving the OP a few suggestions :wink5:

8. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

Hi,

It would help if you could give a bit more detailed info:

When exactly did this start?
    When does he go to bed?
    How soon after going to bed does the barking start?
    What does the barking sound like, constant, whining, howling, intermittent?
    If it's hot is the room well ventilated?

You say you leave pads out at night? Does he need these at 9 months? Is he clean at night?

What's his daily routine, feed time, toilet times, etc

Sorry for all the questions, but it will help :)

9. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Both my dogs are neutered and it has not stopped them whinning when there is a bitch on heat living nearby,
    It may be your dog is starting on its teenage years and they change then(well mine did) they went backwards in routine etc but it did pass after awhile

10. dchow

dchow PetForums Newbie

Its been over 2 weeks since I've last replied....I'm seriously at my rope's end. I don't know how much more I can deal with. For a while it seemed like my dog was slowly starting to sleep again at night, but looking back at it, its just been random days when he sleeps through the night.

I'm so frustrated I've been on the verge of tears for days.
    I have no idea what's wrong with him and no clues on how to fix this.

Increasing the length of walks, teaching him new tricks (hopefully, this counts as mental stimulation), turning on the radio at night, giving him my old worn shirt...I've tried it all but nothing. Continuous crying and barking, this went on for 2 hours before I had to sleep on the couch while holding his leash.

I know I'm suppose to ignore when he's crying at night but even when I wear ear plugs I can still hear it!

He's been neutered and given full access to my family's kitchen, there's just a baby gate at the door.

I don't know how much more of this I can take!!!! :(

11. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

9 to 10 months is about the time that most dogs begin a secondary fear period.
    Could this have anything to do with it?

A few questions to chuck a few ideas into the mix...

During the day does he follow you around alot?
    Could it be that he doesn't understand why he suddenly is isolated?
    How would you describe him in terms of character? Is he quite a confident dog?
    How often is he walked?
    What is he fed on?
    Does he get on with other dogs/ people?

I actually know someone who has experienced something simular to this. Their dog just kept crying at night and wouldn't sleep. One night they'd had enough, due to weeks of lack of sleep and brought the dogs bed up into their room and hey presto within a few minutes the dog was asleep. The carried this on for a few nights but decided that they didn't want him to sleep in their room for ever. They felt it was a confidence thing. What they did was to make the transition from their bedroom to downstairs. Their first step was to take the dogs bed (his crate) and move it closer to their bedroom door. They left the door partly open first and rewarded the dog for staying there. They kept this up for a few nights until they felt the dog was happy at that point. They then proceeded to putting the crate outside their bedroom door (to prevent the dog from coming in they put up a baby gate).Once again they rewarded the dog for staying there at intervals and kept this up for about a week. They then gradually moved him further along the hall way and rewarded him for staying there. Has it happens he never did return downstairs and has a normal dog bed in a corner of the hallway and sleeps happily there with no barking.
    If I were you I'd see if attempting what they did helps. Sounds like you need some sleep having probably lost lots with worrying about the dog. For the sake of getting yourself some sleep you could put the dogs bed in your room and see if that helps. Once you feel ready and refreshed start gradually conditioning him to sleep downstairs or in the hallway.

Hope that helps :)

12. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

i dont know much about dogs to be honest but thought i would tell you my experience - albeit limited :D

when i first got perry [only 3 weeks ago] to get him used to being alone i would put him in his small space [little room between the backdoor and the kitchen] this progressed to giving him the full run of the kitchen with the kitchen door shut [he was fine] i then read on the internet that getting a babygate was a good idea as pups can get stressed when locked in a room not being able to see any other parts of the house. So i bought a babygate, when i put it up and left him in the kitchen while i had a bath - he was yapping and clawing and crying for the full duration [he has never ever done this when 'locked' into the kitchen]. I decided that the babygate was causing him more distress as he saw me leave the room and wanted to get to where i was asap.

The babygate is now blocking the kitchen bin, mop bucket and brush from Perry's antics.

Maybe shut him in the kitchen for a while each day and get him used to being alone. I dunno - it worked for me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice