Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

In a pickle....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Karsie, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

Well my 2 buns have been getting on great since that first wee skirmish but the last week they have been fighting again :(

Bubs is the dominant one of the pair and just wont leave squeak alone at all. She chases her about nose to tail, pulls out her fur and just terrifies her :(

They are separated just now but i only have one hutch and one pen in the garden. So just now one is on the hutch in the house and one free range in the living room then they are swopping over. I cant keep them like this tho as i am back to work today for 10 days straight and buns being buns they like to get up to mishief chewing when im not about!

Squeak is terrifed of bubs even when bubs isnt being 'bad' she is still thumping and darting away :(

Please does anyone have any suggestions on how to help them become friends again??

Oh neither of them is spayed as yt (they are only about 5mths old ish) I phoned a heap of vets this morning tho and got some quotes ranging from £40 to £92 per bunny!

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

my two girls do this chasing, and it's usually when there's food about. As long as there is no blood or cuts on either of the bunnies, I don't think you should have separated them. They will now need to be re-introduced on neutral territory where neither of them has gone (say the bathroom). My girls were spayed for £90 each, so £180 for both of them. Well worth it. Got them spayed when they were 4 months old.

3. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

Squeak is covered in grazes from where bubs pinned her down when she had her cornered in the hutch :( She is squealling when left alone with bubs in the hutch and trembling with big massive eyes and breathing very very fast. I didnt think it was safe to leave her in.

They are both still in the same room and speak to each other through the bars of the cage quite happy yet as soon as i let them out together bubs goes for squeak straight away, i try to just let them get on with it but then she starts to pull out squeaks fur :(

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I really think spaying both will help with this issue. Maybe keep them apart until they are spayed and for 6 weeks after the op to allow the hormones to get out of their system, and then try again on neutral territory?

5. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

yup thats wht i was thinking, it looks like it is just a dominence thing but just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas! will get them booked in as soon as i can. Squeak has become a lot more loving if anything since this all kicked off, she will come running to us and ask for loves, esp when she is scared. She wasnt really a people bunny before!

6. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Females can be very dominate and territorial, the pulling out fur sounds quite bad as is the poor terrified bunny, I would recommend keeping them separated as thing can easily get very nasty, a scratch to the eye could cost u a fortune in vets bills too. I would suggest that u keep them where they can see eachother, which will make bonding easier once they have been done. Can u not put some of the thick plastic coated mesh (sold in sheet from garden centres wickes etc) across half of the run and attach another hutch to one end?

U will need to separate the rabbits after their ops anyway so u will need 2 hucthes/cages and even after they are recovered it is possible that they may still not get on

Cost wise I think I paid about £60 including the meds (which they normally add on top) then I had to take her back as she wasnt eating and that was another £20, I was also very worried and had lots of work in at the time so I would recommend that u might need to take a few days off work, and I wouldn't pick a Friday incase u need any help over the weekend. If the cost is an issue it might be worth contacting ur local pdsa or charity animal hospital

While they are so young I also think its important for them to be well bonded and comfortable with u, I cant see this being possible if 1 is so scared and the other one so mad. Many vets like to wait til they are at least 6 months but i'm sure if u explain they will do it for u asap

hope this helps

7. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

Hi

thanks for the reply :)

They are indoor buns and only have a pen in the garden to play in when im outside, tho they do have a large indoor cage i dont think it would be big enough to split in two

They are both in the living room, buns is in the pen just now and squeakles running about, she is happy to go up to the cage and nose bubble through the bars just panics when they are out together. This is working ok for now but i know it wont forever. I have a massive cardboard box in the living room just now that sqeak seems to have decided is hers! She jumps into it and slept in there last night happy as larry! If nothing else it is buying is a wee bit of breathing space for both buns.

I will contact the vets again to get them both spayed but i know i wont be able to afford both buns vet bills and another hutch :(

Just dont knwo what to do cause this isnt fair on either bun :(

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I think for 6 weeks or so 1 would be happy in the pen indoors and the other in the cage and just let out separately in evenings for a good run around, its not ideal but I'm sure they wont be moving much for the first 2 weeks anyway. U could just put some plastic tarpaulin under the pen if ur worried about wee. u can also buy good sized dog crates for £40-50.
    The spaying isnt cheap but its worth looking around as prices really do vary as does the level of care tho, I wouldnt be ashamed to have them done with the pdsa etc they would rather u contacted them and u can still pay a donation for what u can afford

I read that spraying rabbits with a plant squirty water bottle is a good way to deter fighting/nibbling etc rather than shouting at them, however I tried this once and it really didnt seem to bother my bun

9. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

yup tried the water! didnt make one tiny bit of differnce, i contacted the PDSA in inverness but they only take folk that recieve benifits....

10. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I guess u could have the vicious one done first to stop her developing nasty behaviors wait til next pay day then have the other done, but this will mean longer faffing and time apart for rebonding,

be cheeky and ask if u can get a deal on 2, or give ur local sanctuaries a call and see if they can give u a hand,
    I got about £10 off for being a student and didnt have to show any proof so u could play that card

11. Karsie

Karsie PetForums Member

I did think that about getting bubs done first then once she has settled down get squeak done later, but like you say that just adds more time in the long run...

Only have one shelter up here and they are only open about an hour a day! Have been trying to get in touch with them the last few days just for some advice and see if they know of any good bunny vets

12. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Unfortunately rabbits are very expensive pets, its very common for un-spayed females to fight, they both need to be done and then you need to allow hormones to settle. Does should be done routinely anyway as 80% of unspayed does develop cancer of the uterus.

Once you have them done we can help with any advice you need on bonding them again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice