Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

In 10 days I'm officially un-employed ...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fleur, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My job no longer exists after a 60% cut back in non-customer facing staff so I officially finish work on the 31st October - but because of some holiday I've still to take I've only actually got 2 days left in the office :thumbup:

Now I do need to find a nother job - the sooner the better - however I have got a decent pay off :thumbup1:

So I've budgeted to clear on old credit card off, pay myself my wages for 6 months (the sooner I get a job then I'll be able to put some in savings) and I'm taking £1000 out the pot to treat the family :)

The plan is to finsih sorting the girls rooms out, new bedding etc and buy them a new bike (they currently share one :eek: ) and maybe let them do a bit of shopping.

My son can have some new computer games and a few other bits he's been after

I've already bought myself a new camera

But how sad is this - I've decided the big treat will be .................................................................................................................................................................................................................... A new washing machine :eek: :rolleyes: - I really need to get out more :eek:

But the best thing is - until I find a job I get to spend all day with the dogs :D

2. metame

metame PetForums VIP

...and on pf!

3. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Awwww :) I was worried when I opened the thread, but that's not too shabby is it? It's not sad about your washing machine! new appliances are awesome! :D Glad it's worked out quite well for you, fingers crossed for a good new job for you when you start looking :) xx

4. Fleur

of course :D :thumbup:

5. Fleur

I was given notice just over 4 months ago so I've had plenty of time to get used to the idea.

I've done a bit of job hunting - no where near enough - but come next week it will be my main priority.

I'm planning to do some volunteer work in the mean time

6. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I'm glad you've got some breathing space :thumbup:

Which camera did you settle on?

7. Fleur

I decided on the Sony - went with a friend and had a good look.
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/general-chat/267101-got-my-new-camera.html

Took some pics out on a walk with Rona and Moonviolet - but I've not had a chance to have a proper play with it yet
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/267387-missy-lily-zipper-tinks-alfie-muddy.html

But so far I'm liking the new camera - so thanks for all your help :)

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear you have been the victim, of cut backs can be a very worrying situation. Glad they have looked after you though so at least there is no immediate worries. Hope you find something soon.

9. Lara1988

Lara1988 PetForums Member

Good luck job hunting and hope you find something soon. Jeremy kyle gets very addictive, it annoys me so much, I can't stop watching to see how awful it is.

10. la468

la468 Guest

I agree with this. It's a love hate relationship with me and the JK show. :thumbup: I don't want to watch it, but feel I have to. :eek:

Good luck with the job hunting. :)

11. jon bda

jon bda Guest

12. Fleur

When I got the news, once I was over the initial shock I was actually quite pleased - I think I was getting bored and I'm quite excited at what will come next.
    I'm in a very lucky position that my income is the 2nd income and we could just about scrape by if we battened down the hatches big time

I hate JK - I have to leave the room if the kids put it on - hopefully the organisations I've contacted about volunteering will get back to me if not I'll be walking the dogs when JK's on :D

13. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I was made redundant in 2007, I had a big holiday planned that year so wasn't in a rush to find another job. I started temping in 2008 as I didn't find a permanent position so decided to have my knee ops done. Went back to temping but it took me until 2010 to find a permanent job.

I agree with clearing the CC's that's what I did, but if it were me I would hold off treating the family until you are back in work, but I was a single income so probably different.

14. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

I took voluntary redundancy last year and thought I would take a months break before looking for a job and sign up with an agency and do so some temping.

My previous job owed me some holidays too, so me and the OH went to Cuba for a holiday. I came home and got my diary out and started planning lunch days with girlie friends, unforunately they had to be shelved as the temp agency found me work within 2 days! and then I found a permanent job with 2 weeks.

I was gutted that I didnt get a little more time off but I supposed relieved that id found work.

15. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Enjoy yourself Fleur :D

Re the washing machine treat ... hubby bought me an early birthday present ... a new mower :rolleyes:

16. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

Enjoy your time off with your dogs and doing voluntary work. What a nice thing to do.:)
    The right job will come along,perhaps something you'll enjoy more?

On the washing machine note.....fair play.i would love an all singing and dancing food mixer cause I love making cakes.:D

17. Fleur

Thanks for all your well wishes everyone :) - I really feel this is the right time for me to leave my current job, I loved the people but like any big company it had changed so much in the last few years and my colleagues that are staying are doing the same work with 60% less resource :rolleyes:

A thing of beauty :)

The sensisble head says no treats - but the part of me that says live for the moment is winning ;)
    I am very lucky that my income is a second income but it will be a stuggle once my money runs out

LOL- glad I'm not the only boring one ;)

I love other people who make cakes - I much prefer eating them :D

I'm hoping to volunteer at the wildlife trust education centre and with a charity that teaches key skills to adults - fingers crossed they need me :)

18. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

Good luck with finding a new job!
    I don't blame you for having some treats etc, if you can afford it then why not?! You've worked for it after all :thumbup:

Good on you for wanting to do some volunteering too! Im sure the right job for you will come about soon enough :)

19. Tillymint

Tillymint PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your job & hope you find something else, on a positive note though, new beginnings:)
    When I was made redundant in 2007 I went & got myself a dog (my first ever!) then I made it a collar.... the rest is history:) I did get my job back 2 years ago but now part time which suits me just fine:)

20. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Ive been Self-Unemployed since 1990, in fact the taxman thinks i died in 1995

I gave once, didnt see the point doing it again :smilewinkgrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice