Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

improve concerntration

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tasha15, May 13, 2010.

1. tasha15

tasha15 PetForums Member

i have a border collie who will be 1 next month and am trying to train her with different thing mainly obedience but she cant seem to hold her concerntration is there any way of helping this would a good run early morning helpany ideas?

2. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

not knowing much more about what you are teaching/her level of obedience already etc, i would suggest that you start any exercise inside in the house with no distractions, working up to outside in the garden, adding some small distractions, into a park without distractions of dogs/people (early morning etc), then into the park at a quiet time with some people & dogs, then train in the park at busy times etc...

You could also teach some impulse control type exercises - depending on what it is that causes the distration?

Not knowing her daily exercise routine, I am not sure if a morning run would help - but to keep her attention she must be getting the right amount of exercise generally. When I do training with maggie out on our walks, I let her have a sniff around etc first before trying to do anything with her.

Remember to make it fun too! Training doesnt have to be formal etc and you will stand more chance of keeping her attention if all your training seems like a game to her :thumbup:

#2 katiefranke, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice