Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Importance of Training....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MaggiesMom, Feb 21, 2017.

1. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

So Maggie and I attended our first class, for beginners, a week ago on Sunday.
    We were split into two groups of beginners as there was a large amount of newbies. Whilst lining up and admiring the person next to me's dog (a black and tan bulldog!) I suddenly became aware of the fact that Maggie was no longer on the end of her lead! She had wiggled out of her collar and was OFF!
    I panicked as her recall is the reason we're in classes amongst other reasons and boy did she tear round! 40 laps later someone finally persuaded her in for a treat to which she rolled in the mud, nicked a tennis ball and did a poo. Mortified was not the word :eek:
    After that she did brilliantly tho! We got a good sit going on, watching me and what they call 'puppy recall'.

This week, we did heel work, more focusing tasks and 'wait'. So you can imagine my terror as the instructor advises me I'm going to put her in a sit, hold my hand up as 'wait' DROP THE LEAD and walk backwards! :eek:
    However, I did it and she was amazing! I got really far back before calling her to me and rewarding her AND she held her focus which was great!

Yesterday morning on her walk before work, she slipped her collar. No idea how, as I checked it before we left the house, I was tugging her to move on and I think she has decided if she doesn't want to move she has developed a new wiggle that enables her to get out.
    If this had been prior to training I would have FREAKED. However, as we had learnt the wait command I implemented that, avoided lunging towards her incase she ran and luckily she went into a sit and I was able to get hold of her jumper. Phew.

We are now never leaving the house without being in a harness either! :D:rolleyes:

Wee T, kamikaze, Twiggy and 7 others like this.
  2. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

Great! The class paid off immediately then! Nice one and good girl Maggie, well for waiting, not for wiggling out her collar lol

leashedForLife likes this.
  3. MaggiesMom

Yes I can't wait for her new harness to arrive lol!

4. leashedForLife

suggestion:
    Ignore all the B-S about "leaving 2 fingers width between collar & dog's neck" or any variation thereof. When U don a watch with a buckle strap, U adjust that strap to fit Ur wrist, so that it neither cuts off circulation to the hand nor slips over Ur palm to fall off. It FITS, snugly & smoothly. A dog's buckle AKA tag collar should do the same... up on the neck at its narrowest point, close to the dog's ears, not 2/3 the distance to their shoulders.
    dogs with a phenomenal amount of coat around their necks, i-e, Rough Collies, Bergomascos, Komondors, Malamutes & similar, may need a bridle-path cut in the hair, for the headcollar neck-strap or the buckle-collar to lie; by lifting & parting the hair accurately, then cutting only what U must, U can hide the collar AND the cut slot under the coat, & there's no "ugly" missing chunk. It's quite discrete.
    this nonsense of "comfortable collars" that end with dogs backing out of them & running loose is bl**dy dangerous, & why it became such a fashion, i don't know. :( No one claims that watches are 'uncomfortably tight' nor that pearl chokers or Victorian style ribbon chokers are throttling them, do they?... So why would a properly fitted collar "strangle" a dog?!?!?
    It goes without saying that any dog who has tracheal issues should wear a W-I-D-E sighthound-style martingale, a properly-fitted headcollar, or a front-clip harness - but for the vast majority of dogs without breathing problems, an ordinary buckle-collar for their tags is fine, & it should FIT * THE * DOG, not slither up & down their neck like a bangle on a dancer's wrist. :oops:
    this isn't, BTW, directed at the OP! -- i think U've done brilliantly, as has Ur dog, & are to be heartily congratulated. :)
    it's merely a general moan, as i've been training other folks' dogs since I turned 18, & this fast-spreading silliness over "comfy" collars began here in the US in the mid-80s, & i thought then (as now) that it was ridiculous; a collar is meant to stay on the dog, if U are worried about snagging, FFS buy a safety-collar with a popaway section that drops off, & for pity's sweet sake, microchip that dog! :rolleyes:
    // rant over //, off my soapbox, now. :)

5. MaggiesMom

When U don a watch with a buckle strap, U adjust that strap to fit Ur wrist, so that it neither cuts off circulation to the hand nor slips over Ur palm to fall off. It FITS, snugly & smoothly. - I think THIS is a good point actually! It's true, you don't normally have a watch slipping all over the place (well most people don't) but we get this notion that anything less than 2 fingers worth is too tight on our dogs. I had tightened it that day to 1 fingers width and still she managed, hence the harness now, we have a couple but her morning walk is fairly brief before I go to work so it's just easier to clip the lead on the collar and bomb off out the door. New habbit to get into now- harness first lol ;)

6. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

I do :Hilarious I hate things tight on my wrist. :oops:

Muttly doesn't wear a collar, don;t worry!

7. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Well Done you for staying calm and asking for a Sit and well done Maggie for sitting.

So, is the two finger rule with harnesses something you shouldn't do too?

MaggiesMom likes this.
  8. leashedForLife

QUOTE, Animallover26:

... is the two finger rule with harnesses something you shouldn't do, too?

/QUOTE
    hate to break it to ya, AL26, but there *is no* "2-finger rule" for fitting harnesses, & never has been. :oops:
    Harnesses are meant to fit the individual dog, so the best harnesses adjust in 5 different places with either slides or buckles to let out or take up a measured amount of slack, & adjust the harness to be snug on the dog's body. It should not have a slide, buckle, or any hardware in the delicate armpit area / elbow, where the dog's forelegs move against thin almost-hairless skin -- hardware rubbing there WILL cause skin-pinches, bruising, friction & harness-galls, or other painful problems.
    a properly-adjusted harness will leave "tracks" on the dog's coat when it comes off, where the haircoat has been compressed by the straps; they disappear when the dog shakes to resettle the hair comfortably, which BTW is a behavior easily put on cue. :)
    A fitted harness on a double-coated breed will seem to bristle at the edges of the straps, as they push the hair out around them; similarly, on a smooth-coated dog such as a Chi or Lab, the dog's SKIN will bulge slightly at each edge of a strap, again caused by the compression of the strap pushing skin & underlying tissue slightly outward.
    A well-fitted harness lies __flat___ on the dog & will not slip side to side when tugged firmly with both hands on the same side of the dog - for instance, one hand on the neck strap & the other on the strap round the ribs, tug downward & watch the side buckle: Does it move significantly? --- it shouldn't.
    A harness that slips around on a dog will rub hair into dreadlocks, cause friction & possible harness-rubs, & may give sufficient slack to allow the dog to get a hindfoot under the neck or belly strap, then panic - seriously injuring tendons & straining muscles as s/he fights to get free. :eek:
    If U've never seen a horse get a fetlock trapped in a loose girth when kicking at a biting fly, be thankful - few things are more frightening than a half-ton animal, helpless & terrified, trying desperately to stay on their feet & inevitably falling *badly* with their trapped leg taking the brunt of the impact. "Crack!" is often the audible result, as a bone breaks or a tendon ruptures.

MaggiesMom likes this.
  9. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Or better yet, if a dog easily slips their collar, use a greyhound style martingale collar or body harness :)

My dogs wear loose fitting collars. If their collar gets caught I WANT it to fall off or break.

10. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup.
    Thai wears a martingale or a semi slip because he can slip out of a flat collar. I personally hate seeing collars tight up behind a dogs ears, it doesn't look comfortably at all to me.

Muttly, SixStar and ouesi like this.
  11. leashedForLife

this looks seriously uncomfortable? -- It's one of the velvet-ribbon choker necklaces which have been a long-time classic, since at least the Edwardian era; other neckband style necklaces predate those clear into prehistory.

[​IMG]
    I've worn them, & never found them uncomfortable - they come in many variants, from beaded band style to ribbons of suede to mesh ribbons of fine metal links, & all of them - so far, & IME - have been comfy.

[​IMG]

ETA:
    sorry, ribbons of suede - oops. :oops:

#11 leashedForLife, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

These are pictures of necklaces on humans that don't have a leash attached (no, I don't need examples of leashed humans either LOL).

Human wearing decorative necklace =/= dog wearing collar with leash attached.
    And FWIW, I do find this type of necklace very uncomfortable.

In any case, a dog who slips his/her collar is better off in a well fitted body harness, or a Sighthound type martingale designed specifically for needle nose dogs who can so easily slip their collars. No need to tighten the collar or put it up high etc.

adamantis and StormyThai like this.
  13. Piguinn

Piguinn PetForums Member

Great! The perfect example of training paying off :D

MaggiesMom and ForestWomble like this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have my collars tight enough so the dog cannot possibly slip out of them but they do not have to very tight to achieve that.

15. MaggiesMom

Exactly, that's why I had to post about it, has we not had that education at the weekend I would have totally panicked yesterday. I'm not saying every owner should attend some sort of thorough training regime but just to learn some basic commands is already so helpful and they really do catch on quickly. We started to work on basics & recall but I think we'll carry on and do more.
    I have to say it totally knackers Maggie out! She's pooped when we come home, and the classes are only around 40 mins. This was her for most of Sunday afternoon lol.
    IMG_20170212_180655_760.jpg

16. Wee T

Wee T What you talkin' bout, Willow?

That is brilliant. Good on you. Funny, we've just had similar incident tonight.

Willow's Halti training lead became unattached from her collar as we walked beside a road - granted a quiet, country road which is even quieter at night but still...

Asked for a stay and she complied. Phew.

Just wish she was so accommodating with her 'leave' when it comes to fox cr*p. :Punch

Not entirely sure how lead came off. I presumed it had broken but it appears to be fine...:confused: Never had a problem with it before, either clipped to small D ring on collar or the 2 larger D rings on her harness. Bizarre. Wary now...

Thank goodness it didnt happen the other night when we saw a fox - she would have told me to shove that stay where the sun would be a stranger. :eek:o_O

17. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Alfie wears a collar for his tag but is on a harness for walking as he slipped the collar too many times as a puppy that we only ever use a harness now.

We use the ferplast ergocomfort harness and its great

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/270548937319?_mwBanner=1&varId=570188000251

The ratchet clips are great and adjust for a perfect fit his heel work improved greatly after we started using it and the pulling stopped

18. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Good to hear that the classes are paying off. We've been going them since Holly was around 15 weeks (she's now 14 months) and we've gone through the good citizens dog scheme levels. We've done puppy foundation, bronze, silver and are now waiting to take gold. I knew how to teach the commands, but for me training classes were so useful to teach Holly self-control around other dogs and to listen to me despite what else might be going on. Plus we've made loads of friends there which is nice. Does your class do the good citizens scheme as well?

leashedForLife and MaggiesMom like this.
  19. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Oh and don't worry about her 'episode' of clowning around at the class. In our class there are often times where a dog will have a 'funny 5 minutes' and get a case of the Zoomies. There are a few dogs in particular who have a tendency to do this during off-lead tasks (e.g. recall, stay and send your dog to bed, where they pick up their bed and run around with it!). It must be annoying for the owner, but for everyone else I have to admit the floor show makes for great entertainment! :Hilarious

20. Calum Mills

Calum Mills PetForums Junior

I love puppy classes!
    We are doing GDCS puppy foundation atm- 2 weeks to go! Its great fun for me and Harley! He loves it too. We thought he was a bit silly as he did not pick much up before the class but now he is super fast at everything. The only issue we now have is re call- especially when he spots another dog on a walk. He wants to be their friend!

We also attend puppy play at the group and this is just agility and socialization with other dogs. He loves it- being a small dog he shows no fear of the a frames and or tunnels. In fact he is excellent at it! Last week we were doing the tunnel and this is the only time he is on a dropped lead, well I dropped the lead and said tunnel. He scampers off through at a huge rate of knots and comes out before I have even got close to the end! He then does zoomies over obstacles and jumps before being caught by another owner. Everyone was howling with laughter at him as he is the smallest dog by some way doing laps of the bigger dogs!
    He is shattered at the end of the classes and puppy play- get some peace and cuddles!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice