Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Impact of diet on nervous dog's tummy upsets?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by CuddleMonster, Jun 2, 2017.

1. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

As you'll probably know from my other posts, Bonnie is very timid and easily upset. Every time we have a stressful situation (thunderstorm, vet visit etc) she ends up getting the runs. Or being sick. Or both. Usually on the carpet.

Just wondering if she is more or less likely to get this depending on the type of food she is eating? And if so, what type of food might help her avoid this? She is usually fine after a day or two and has no other symptoms apart from these. But it must be horrible for her and I'm not to keen on cleaning up after her either! Have raised it with the vets, but all they can suggest is calming tablets (which don't work) and trying to avoid stress.

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I don't think any food will prevent stomach upset due to stress unfortunately. Have you tried giving a prebiotic and probiotic during stressful events? To try and keep the stomach as happy as possible.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

what are you feeding her now

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm convinced diet will have an impact on her tummy. I have a dog with similar problems and find a bland , low fat diet suits her best. She's currently having Chappie ( magic ! ) and Lily's Kitchen Recovery tins. Luckily she loves both and they do get us back on track. She has grain free food , no dairy and as of today, no egg. She's also having Protexin Prokolin which calms her tummy down quickly, I reccommend it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I'm not the best person to advise on dog food, but I can give you suggestions on helping her cope with stress.
    One, I'd start adding MSM to her diet. It's just a good, all around supplement, and may help with her tummy issues. You can buy human grade MSM and just add it in to her food.

Two, you know what stresses her, but do you know what helps her de-stress? For example, for some dogs, a good off-leash run helps, for others chewing is a good way to blow off steam, others need some chill time in the house knowing they won't be disturbed, others may benefit from a good massage/snuggle, maybe a good romp with a confident dog friend, a long sniff walk... Or combinations of all of the above. Figure out what helps her feel more confident and resilient and make sure to include that in her life, especially when you know there will be stressful situations ahead.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

I also find Pet Remedy helps relax her, it smells like sweaty socks but very effective.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. CuddleMonster

@Sarah H No I haven't tried a prebiotic or probiotic, I'll look into that.

@Bobbie she is now on Skinner's Salmon and Rice - I swap between that and Duck and Rice, depending on what is available (but always change over gradually)

@SusieRainbow It's interesting you have cut out dairy and egg as Bonnie loves both. They don't seem to cause her a problem, but maybe I could try cutting them out. I tried Pet Remedy, but it didn't seem to do anything and eventually, she started to associate it with something stressful, so it ended up making things worse!

@ouesi thank you, I do try to have lots of relaxing things in her life, especially around stressful times but I'll try the MSM too.

Sarah H, Lurcherlad and ouesi like this.
  8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What about a ginger biscuit when she starts to get stressed, to help alleviate the nausea?

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I have found in times of stress a snug jumper/t shirt/jacket really calms mine. You can buy a purpose made thunder shirt but I didn't need to.
    I also use a tum supplement. Bionic Biotics is fast acting but I find Yudigest great long term.
    I0% fat max works for us but her tum issue is not stress related.
    I've taken MSM for years but not used it for my dog.

10. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

Feelwells and Lily's Kitchen produce Bed time biscuits, they have all sorts of calming ingredients in them and make my girls super relaxed ! I give them one every night and one in the daytime if they are nervy which Reena quite often is.

11. CuddleMonster

Hi, I just wanted to give an update to all you lovely people who gave advice. I couldn't find any MSM in my local shops, but I did find a dog treat that has MSM in it and I also found the Lily's Kitchen bedtime biscuits. So I've started her off having one of the MSM biscuits with each meal and before I go out and the bedtime one at night (I thought it was better to try one or two things at a time so I know how each one works before I try the next thing). She's been having them for four days now and it does seem to be helping. Either she is sleeping much better at night or I am as she's not waking me up in the night! And she seems more relaxed during the day - yesterday and today, she was doing her lovely bouncy, happy run on her walks, which she only does when she is totally chilled and I haven't seen that recently. :Happy

There is only one slight disadvantage to her being this relaxed - I've got used to her running to the door as soon as she hears me come home...Yesterday, there was no sign of her, and when I went into the next room to check, there was just a still figure curled up in her bed - I thought she'd died in her sleep until I heard the snoring! :Nailbiting :)

They also had Yudigest in the pet shop, so I will get that next month (this is the month for all the big bills, so I thought I'd start off trying the cheaper ideas!) I'm also going to look into changing her food, but as we've not long started a new sack of Skinner's I'm going to finish that first as she is fine on it when there is no additional stress.

Thanks again everyone, I do feel much more prepared to deal with the next stress episode now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice