Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i'm tired of it

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by skyblue, May 6, 2011.

1. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

i'm tired of working just to struggle while the long term unemployed get everything on a plate

its got to the point that with the escalating fuel costs its not going to be worth me going to work,i travel over 40 miles a day and with deisel approaching £1.50 a liter its just not worth it

im getting up at 4.30 am or getting home at nearly 11pm,plus i work most weekends....just to struggle and pay it all out

successive governments have destroyed this country with greed and the need to make the working man pay more for everything,mass immigration has forced the average wage down to a point where its nearly impossible to survive here

i've just had enough of it

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

The long term unemployed get everything on a plate? All £60 per week of it? OK.

If mass immigration has forced the average wage down to a point where it's nearly impossible to survive here, then why do the immigrants come here at all? Your statement is a paradox.

:confused:

3. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

It is possible to 'exist' here that's about it. Everything's doubly sh*te if you're on your own.

4. rona

rona Guest

Yep I agree, I've actually dropped out for a while, got a little money behind me that is making a pittance of interest :( A small private pension that will be thieved from me when I retire.
    I've worked enough years for my state pension, so doing as little as possible and spending time relaxing with my dog :)

5. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Imo its down to the goverment/s for the low min. wage.Trouble is though the imigrants will and do work for a wage below the min.And until there is a way to sort this out i can't see our min. wage raised to anything half decent.:(

6. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

But this what I don't get Janice. In my head, it's quite simple, but I must be missing something.

Many people say that minimum wage needs to be raised to something 'half decent'. I can understand where they are coming from. Afterall, if minimum wage were £300 per week, surely everyone would be better off?

But that's where I see the flaw.

You see, in my own business, when the staff ask for, or are given, a payrise I pay for it by putting up my prices.

Now that might not be such a big deal, as it's only me raising my prices that week.

But if the national minimum wage were raised all at once, it would have to come out of the pockets of employers across the country. So employers would then increase their prices to be able to cover the increased wages bill.

Once that happens, how will anybody be better off? If national minimum wage goes up by £2 per hour, but everything suddenly costs more, how are you any better off?

:confused:

The only way an increase in NMW would be truly beneficial is if it were to happen successively over many years of deflation, but that in itself is also a paradox and therefore cannot happen.

7. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Ok the answer to your question imho is this.Say the min wage did rise by £2 per hour and everything went up in price as you said,the difference would be,we could at least choose what we spent it on.Ok a silly example but thats me,say now i am willing to pay £2 for a nice cake,but then that cake goes up to £3 i will not buy it unless i could afford the extra.Now people are struggling just to keep up with basic needs.Although again, just my oppinion i don't think we are as poverty stricken as some will lead as to believe.God i hope that makes sence.lol:D

8. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

A very good and logical point. I predict that it will mostly be ignored in favour of arguments based on what the newspapers tell us.

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

£60 a week is the job seekers allowance. Start adding on housing benefits, child benefits, (fraudulent) disability claims, etc and that value rockets!! My ex-neighbour (who only moved away yesterday!) has an underactive thyroid and weighs easily 23+ stone. She OPENLY admits that she doesn't stick to the diet because 'she would lose all her benefits if she lost weight'. She was told to lose weight or face the risk of having her legs amputated. Her response to that? "They can have my legs, I'll get more benefits that way!!!" :eek: Her husband is her carer. They have one child. They make MORE than £23k each year with everything they get. They also get special holidays away, paid for by the state. I work over 40hrs a week and my pre-tax wage doesn't match what they get!!!
    I don't get free prescriptions, I don't get unemployment discounts at the cinema or the gym or on public transport. I don't get free dental treatment. I have to pay for EVERYTHING but they get more money in their hand than I do.

Eastern Europeans have flooded into the UK because our way of life is still better than theirs. You have approx 3-5 families living in one house, sharing the costs between them. One set of household bills, anything up to 6-8 wages coming in. THAT makes living here VERY affordable even if the minimum wage is poor!!! They get better child allowance here than they would back home and working tax credits keep them doing very nicely in the money stakes.

Welcome to the EU - well, it's welcoming if you're not British!!!

Jazzy likes this.
  10. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Ought to read on before making predictions really....

11. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

I know how you feel and believe me there are a lot of people out there that feel the same, but just think YOU work, YOU pay for yourself to live in this world, YOU support yourself and your family etc, YOU are the breadwinner, YOU do not rely on ANYBODY else. And make sure YOU are PROUD of yourself!!!! :D:D:D:D

12. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

It does make sense, except for the bit about people being able to "choose" what they would spend it on.

Your local council would have to put up everyone's wage by £2 per hour (cleaner goes from £6 per hour to £8, admin assist goes from £8 per hour to £10 - afterall, she wants more than the cleaner, and the council leader goes up from £2063.45p per hour to....well you get the jist LOL).

As well as this increase in staff overheads, they would have to pay more in employer's NI contributions.

On top of this, they would find that all of their suppliers have put up their prices too (the wheelie bins are suddenly more expensive to buy as the factory making them has an increased wage bill, the stationary they buy has gone up in price as the salesman's wages have gone up etc.)

So all of a sudden. the council finds itself with much less money in the council coffers. To combat this, it increases council tax, reduces the rubbish collection to fortnightly, paints a few double yellow lines down popular streets to fine people for parking there and introduces a paid parking scheme in the town center where you work.

You cannot choose not to pay these things. So already, before you even go on your lunch hour on Monday, you are £20 down. That £3 cupcake isn't even an option any more. The £2 cupcake is reserved for senior management wages. You'll have to make do with a Tesco Value bun and a packed lunch.

See what I mean? LOL

It's already happened too.

National Minimum Wage has already almost doubled in the last 10 years. If an increase in National Minimum Wage is the only answer, why are people struggling more in 2011 than they were in 2001, despite the doubling of the wage?

Food for thought?

;)

13. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

God i'm so laughing but i'm seeing your point and i to a degree i agree with you.However,regarding the bit i've highlighted,i honestly think people today have learnt to live beyond their means.
    I cannot for the life of me, understand how people can plead poverty when they have all the latest gadgets,and think nothing of having debts to get them.I'm a firm believer in,if you can't pay for it don't have it.:)

14. rona

rona Guest

Yes and when you fall on hard times, don't want to scrounge from the state and require a little information, what are you told.
    Sign on and you will get it, until then they can't help.
    This is fact, this is what I was told :mad:

15. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I was self-employed for years while bringing up 3 children after my OH left. We struggled, but I am proud of how we managed it. I never felt resentful of what others had - it just brings you down.
    Rather than be jealous - why not look at what you can do to change your life for the better.
    :001_smile:

16. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

My friend is in that position and she really struggles, if it wasn't for her family I don't know how she'd survive to be honest.

I agree many people DO abuse the system, but more I would say do not ... well that's how I see it :(

17. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I am NEVER jealous of what others have. If they have worked hard to get it then I applaud their efforts and their success.

It is when I see lazy shysters, who have never lifted a finger for a days work in their lives but who have a better standard of living than I do, THAT is when I seethe and my blood boils....... :cursing: :incazzato:

18. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Ah but do they have a better "standard"? These people your refering to have NO standards or self respect.

19. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

There are people in employment who also fraudulently claim for things such as expenses. "Working the system" is a human trait, not a special skill reserved for those on benefits.
    Interestingly, you said that "with everything they get" your neighbours were on over £23K a year. There are 2 of them. That equates to just £11.5K salary each if they were both working, and your neighbour would rather lose her legs than lose that income.
    That's not something to be envious of. That's something to pity. You could start in a job earning £11.5K a year and work your way up. The sky's the limit. Your neighbour has already found hers.

So things in the UK aren't all that bad then if you live within your means?

LOL

Yup. And the sky's the limit if you apply yourself in your job.

That's it Janice.

There was a thread on here recently asking about mortgages, and the impracticality of saving for a deposit when a house costs £200K and the deposit required is £40K?

I almost fell over and fainted.

Since when did first time buyers expect that their first home would be a 3 bed semi worth £200K in a lovely area? What happened to the 'property ladder'?

Considering that a minimum wage is exactly that - the minimum you can earn as an employee before working your way up, is it really so bad?

Minimum wage is currently £1040.00 per month (based on a 40 hour week) and then you get working tax credits on top of that! No wonder the European immigrants love Britain!

:D

20. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

The other word there was 'over' - £23k was all she was prepared to mention. Her brother has told us that it was considerably more than that......

However, even at £11.5k a year for sitting on her fat back-side doing sweet FA - that's a good little earner that is!!!! This family were SO lazy that they couldn't even be bothered to wipe the dinner table so the council provided them with a home help!!! So they didn't even have to clean their own home!! Something I have to squeeze in on the weekend amongst other things.

If people are prepared to go back to Victorian times of sharing their homes with multiple families, then it's gonna be absolutely brilliant!!!

The UK has moved on from this poor quality of life, Eastern Europe is still working on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice