Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I'm thinking of putting my male and female chinchilla in the same cage

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Gabz, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Gabz

Gabz PetForums Newbie

I've got a male chinchilla who is currently in a big cage on his own but I recently purchased a female chinchilla who is also in a separate cage, but I was thinking of possibly putting them in the bigger cage as the cage that the female chinchilla is currently in is actually a rabbit cage and it only has one ledge and that's it.
    Will it be possible to put them into the same cage?

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

I've already explained to you the reasons why you cannot put these chinchillas together. What part of what I have explained are you having a problem with. You are not going to get a different answer from any of the chinchilla owners on here.

3. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

@Tiggers I know hardely anything about Chinchillas but is it possible to neuter the male then they could live together?

Wild With Roxi likes this.
  4. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

Please do not breed them. I know you say you have the history but if you do not have the physical pedigree on both they should not be bred.
    Even if the male came from a reputable breeder not all are suitable for breeding hence selling them as pets without the background info.

5. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

Neutering a chinchilla is a risky and invasive procedure. I've already explained this aspect in another thread Gabz started. Chinchillas do not cope well with anaesthesia and it is only an option I would consider if life were in danger.

noushka05, cava14 una and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

Ah OK. Sorry.

7. Gabz

Gabz PetForums Newbie

Okay thanks so much I appreciate your help and support with this matter as I just thought that it would be a nice idea to put them both in the same cage. But if you guys say that it wouldn't be a good idea, then I'll just leave them where they are

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

You need to provide a suitable cage for the new one asap

I would have thought, being an owner of one already, you would be more clued up on good husbandry and breeding considerations tbh

Chinchilla’s are long lived and are a huge responsibility and deserve the happiest of lives and best conditions if they are to be in a domestic environment.

noushka05 and Tiggers like this.
  9. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

I fully endorse the comments made by Lurcherlad and Arny. Chinchilla husbandry is at best, complex, as is their nutrition. Gabz, if you are unsure of any aspect of caring for your chinchillas, better to ask the questions on here than make mistakes. I, or another chinchilla owner are usually around and can help.

noushka05, Arny and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I had several male chinchillas castrated when I gave up breeding them. This included an eight year old, and the reason I had them done was so that they could stay in their family groups.

They were all fine the day after the operation, but I kept them in small cages with no dust baths for several weeks. Makes can be fertile for up to six weeks after being sterilised.

Chinchillas as social animals, and I would rather have a male castrated than them living in separate cages and not being able to interact

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

but they don't have to live alone if you don't want, they are perfectly happy in same sex pairs/groups.

Tiggers likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice